I am an 18 year old female and I have been suffering with a viral infection in my mouth.

It started with swollen glands, a fever, headache and a sore throat. When I went to the doctor she said the swollen glands was just my body reacting to an infection, so she gave me an antibiotic. That night I woke in horrible pain because the gums around my wisdom teeth had swollen massively. I couldn't talk properly or close my mouth.

The next day I went to a different doctor and explained the new symptoms to him. He took one look at the back of my mouth and told me it was covered in little ulcers. He told me I had a "viral infection" and all I could do is take some pain killers and let it go away by itself. This, I was fine with, however, within the next 24 hours, my gums, tongue, hard palette, soft palette and cheeks were painful and swollen to a point where I couldn't eat and I had developed more ulcers on my tongue, the roof of my mouth and the inside of my lower bottom lip.

Having suffered badly with throat and ear infections all through my childhood and my early teens, I know i have a good tolerance of pain, but this present illness has reduced me to tears on more than one occasion. My present symptoms are the swelling and ulcers in my mouth (as mentioned above), the sore throat, increased amount and thickened saliva and swollen glands. I have been taking solpadeine and using difflam spray for the pain (neither of which are working very well), I have also been swishing with salt water and drinking lots of fluids.

Is there anything else I can do or do I just have to suffer on a little longer???..... 

Hi Sarah,

Antibiotics won't help a viral infection.  They can contribute to them though by reducing the "good" bacteria that normally fight off infection.

I'm glad you've seen the doctor.  At this point though, time is your best friend.  Just do what you can to keep comfortable.

Hope it helps some.  Good luck.