Hi there,

I am a 56 year old female and I wonder if anyone has the same problem as me - I have recently noticed that during the night and in the morning my saliva is brown in colour and could have some blood in it. Other than this, I seem to be in fine health although having said this, I have recently suffered from veritgo.

Is there anyone out there that has experienced the same problem?

I have the same, it is possible ralated to the nostrils, I was suspecting of my teeth but finally I noticed it is some thing in the nostrils, one morning i got a little allergy and cough hard, I felt my nostrils clog, I trow it out and was bloody, I will go to the doctor to take a look of that

I have had the same problem for months I am 65 years old and as it is only at night feel it cant be that serious but I to would like an answer so if their is anyone who knows please reply.

I discovered blood in my saliva two days ago when i spit into the toilet; i first noticed that my saliva was dark, and now blood from who knows where; it only shows up in the morning when i wake up to use the rest room; i need help figuring out what to do, or if there is cause for alarm.

I have the same problem. It happen to me for more than 6 month now. Every single morning I have this weird taste into my mouth and I spit thick dark brown saliva. I initially thought that was because my dental pockets bleeding overnight, but I found that this is not the case (I have them removed last week as I'm going for dental implants).
Yesterday, my dentist told me that my problem is caused by a bacteria that exist to some people, and there is nothing really to do.

Did you guys get any answer to your problem?

Please let me know.

Hello did get your solution to the bleeding problem? Ihave the same problem too.

All problem and no solution!

l also have the same problem and the saliva is very thick l think this has to do with stomach acid

I have the same problem and for me it has to do with acid reflux.

I had that symptom and it really worried me. I decided to make sure that my tongue and whole mouth was very clean and then I went to sleep sitting up in my chair. When I woke up on 2 or 3 hours later I found that brown saliva again. I was thinking tooth bleeding, acid reflux, lung cancer, esophagus bleeding, ulcer, you name it. I decided to face me fears head on and do some experiments. I decided to try NOT eating oatmeal before I went to sleep. I work at night, so I eat breakfast before going to sleep. Anyway, the dark saliva wasn't there when I woke up! It's very strange but when I eat oatmeal I wake up with dark saliva even if my tongue appeared clear before sleeping.

Yes every morning I have this dark brown mucus I have to spit out sometimes it got blood in it and bad taste in mouth tongue burns or stings a little

I, too, have the brown saliva. I'm in good health and this is a mystery. I was scared but now feel much better knowing there are so many other people with same problem. Have had it for at least six months.

my name is jon sims and i woke up with a thick black leach like liquid on my lip and was concerned as to what the heck it is. i smoke cigarettes and this is the first time i have had this part happen. ive been seeing the brown spit but i figured it was from smoking so i ignored that. contact me if you can help me please for i do not have insurance and would like to get to the bottom of this. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Could this be related to post nasal drip?

I have the same problem here, have 3-4 months...Not everyday, but in some days when i wake up and spit i see blood in my saliva or its brown/dark/greenish... I went to some doctors and they said it comes from my throat, i dont know if its true anyway... Actually im taking antibiotics and antiinflammatory