I am 54. My throat is dry but in the am I wake up feeling like I have something stuck in the back of my throat.

I do the usual "snorting" to clear my sinus and I bring up thick, chunky green mucous and at times it's sticky. Later in the day, the mucous is either white or clear. I am constantly swallowing.

I have been tested for airborne allergies and all is negative. I do not have a cough or pain . I have been to an ENT and all is clear.

Could this be a food allergy? I do drink alot of milk. I have all my life. I also have reflux, but as far as I can tell, I have not had an episode of that in quite awhile. I am on Efexor but this started before the meds.

Betty

i have a ver similar problem, just wondering if you got anywhere with it??

you may want to see your doctor and ask if it is a type of infection or bacteria in your lungs. I am a respiratory therapist, and we see this frequently in COPD patients. COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder) is a combination of 2 of the following (in any way) Chronic Bronchitis, Emphysema, or Asthma. We also see this type of secretion in pneumonia patients. It could be something as simple as a sinus infection, or mouth breathing at night during the cold weather, or as complicated as bronchitis. Maybe this helps....

Normally mucus is clear and thin. Its primary function is to filter air particles. When an infection occurs, the mucus color often changes, from clear mucus to yellow mucus and then to green mucus. It most cases green mucus is a definite indication that one has a sinus infection. Most infections are usually caused by bacteria or viruses, however 90% of sinus infections result from viruses. The best cure is your own immune system.
Green mucus is often thick and causes congestion and pressure. This can cause more discomfort as thick mucus is often the primary cause of sinus headaches. Your body reacts to the change in mucus by producing even more mucus, which in turn irritates your throat glands and stomach linings.

i have had this for 20 years ( iam 30). My mate remembers me doing this at school.clearing my throat of the mucus) I have had 3 operations in the nasal cavity and none have worked. i am worse in the winter and after eating. i have been told it is due to reduced saliva production by my consultant. i produce alot less than others so the mucus/snot isn't washed away. at time its embarrasing and degrading to have to find a quiet area to clear the phlegm.

I have the same problem. My question is why COPD? No cough. If it was Asthma wouldn't I have breathing problems as well? I have been on 4 rounds of an antibiotics and they helped for awhile and it came right back. I was told it was a sinus infection. I had a chest x-ray and all was clear. Could this be allergies?

I also wake up feeling like I have something stuck in the back of my throat. When I do the usual snorting and clear my sinus I bring up this chunk of green thick mucus. It's so gross and it happens every day now for 6 years. I've been to ENT and they said I was loaded with Staph so they keep putting me on antibiotics. They had me take zithromax for 30 days! It cleared up, but came right back. I do have a thornwaldts cyst, but they say it's harmless. I had a food sensitivity test, and I am sensitive to wheat, hops (no beer), wine, pork, dairy and anything aged or fried. I refuse to go back to the ENT for more antibiotics because the last round really tore up my intestines.

Here's the only thing that works for me. Avoid all foods listed above. Drink a half gallon of water every day. Gargle regularly with warm salt water. Get a good sinus rinse and do that every morning and night....but here's the key....GARGLE BEFORE BED AND IN MIDDLE OF NIGHT WITH COCONUT WATER KEFIR. I get mine at Whole Foods. It's a probiotic in liquid form. It's good for you, you don't have to see a doctor to get it. It costs about $16 a bottle, but I should be taking probiotics anyway after all the antibiotics, so I go through a bottle every month. Hope this helps!

Im a 17 year old girl and i have just started to get this problem in the past month , i get the feeling i have something stuck in my throat every morning and its green thick sticky mucus and have to spit it up and stand over the basin for at least 15 min every morning and i feel really sick and have huge headaches and my head dosent clear up till at least an hour ,i also have to spit all the time and clear my throat . this is crazy i dont know whats going on with me and i dont know what to do because my parents wont believe me if i said something about it =(

I have had this for almost 9 months during this time I have gone about threw times to the dr. First time he told me it was the cause of the flu so he prescribed antibiotic. Well that didn't work second time another dose of antibiotics and allergy medicine which help for as long as I took them, then the mucous came back he ordered x-rays and they came clean. He also suggested that I sleep without a fan since at night when we sleep we open our mouths and dust accumulates in our throat causing mucous to form. This did work for me a bit since I slept under the ceiling fan but the mucous is still there sometimes I cry myself to sleep thinking the worse I really don't know what to do. He has ordered another set of x-rays which he tells me is not necessary since the first came out fine don't know what to do and honestly I'm afraid it's something bad. I don't smoke nor hang around people who do, don't drink so what is wrong with me. Dr just gives me the run around and tells me it's allergies. I can't afford more dr visits nor x-rays "(

I got this today :( 

I get it once in a great while usually when my immune system is weak.  Today was especially bad coughing for 30 minutes and super thick green stuff - yuk.  It was so bad that I started searching the web and found this forum.  Since I see so many people suffering on here I wanted to offer a suggestion that may help.  

DISCLAIMER: this info is second hand so please do some research before trying.  

I have had a couple of people suggest rinsing your sinuses with salt water at the first sign of trouble.  One guy says he avoided colds for 6 years.  I researched it one day and found some people on the internet vouching for this method.

I acted too late to give it a try this time around.   

I'm suggesting this because I see many people have not found a solution to the problem and I know firsthand how frustrating that can be.

even i have the same problem.. to get rid for this for few days i use this method.. i bend forward or lie on bed on my stomach (eyes seeing bed) so that the snot drips and clear it by snorting..

I have the same problem for many many years I can't even remember. I have seen ENT's and no body gave me a correct answer. One thing I noticed is that my throat often had some crust stuck in there until some day I was clearing my throat, it came out hard and with mucus wrapped around it. I am wondering if I could eliminate the crust in my nostrills, there wouldn't be crust in my throat. I got Ponaris Nasal Emollient. I applied it to my nose and sinus cavatiy very frequently. The bleeding spot seems like healed and crust seems to have gone away. I have to wait and see if that will correct my problem.

Proper hydration keeps the mucus flowing normally. You may be dehydrated or simply not drinking enough water or drinking caffeinated beverages, like soda pop. Caffeine is a diuretic. If your urine is consistently dark you may be dehydrated. Cut back on caffeine and drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.

Hopefully I can get more information on this issue I have the green phlegm for over a year never said anything to the doctor because I don't go very often. Its all day everyday sometime a bit worse after a meal, don't know why that would be and I just noticed after a year or more of this the middle of my back more my right mid back is sore any ideas what it could be? The phlegm never changes color its green no red streaks nothing just starting to worry what it could be haven't smoked in 10 years.

I don't have any symptoms of a sinus infection its just any part of the day if I sniff back and spit its green and I'm afraid its stinky or is it making my breath smell bad.

I've had the same problem. Thick, lumpy green mucus. I've noticed it when I'm in dusty dirt for awhile. Once when I went to a rodeo, and when I'm outside when the dust gets kicked up into the air. I also feel the dryness. It has nothing to do with my lungs. Just a snotty nose when I wake up. I clear my nose and there is that nasty gunk. I believe it's just all the dust that collected in my sinus, and that I was dehydrated. Reason why it was chunky.