I have had clear mucus down the back of my throat since 2004 on and after a cruise .I have not held a job since! I have been to a family doctor , an allergist,[I am not allergic to anything] a ear throat and nose doctor , a pulmonary specialist[because the mucus goes down my chest and he says I now have emphasema], a sinus specilaist, who performed surgery last November, and a herbalist. Nothing has permanently helped me and I have taken many antibiotics,and nasal sprays and mucinex.I have listened to everything and acted on it but I get days when it is unpleasant and the chokey feeling is frightening.I do not haveit all the time but it has really not gone away. Every morning, as well as in the day I have the thick clear mucus come down the back of my throat. After reading one lettter from a mucus sufferer maybe my ears could also be the problem .I have nothing to lose to check that out.I have NEVER smoked in my life !I would be grateful for any advice .thank you.

I am currently aving the same problem. I have been to Dr. 2x for this in the last month. He thinks it is allergies causing PND. I have tried Allegra-D, Palgic, and antibiotics but still have it. How is your problem?

I have been having this now for 9 straight months with no answer or help with it. I have had a chest x-ray, barrium swallow, larynoscopy and have tried meds for GERD, antibiotics and mucinex. I've drank water till my eyes turned yellow, and NOTHING has helped me. I have yet another doctor's appointment on Monday. I'm scared to hear "nothing is wrong" and to hear "something is wrong" I am sick of it. I have to work all day, and I have a real hard time making it through work. I have the feeling of wanting to clear my throat all day long. It never seems to go away, until I fall asleep. I wake up and "yep" it's right back. Surely we all aren't losing our minds. I've tried natural meds, nasal sprays, steroids and nothing has helped. I'm a my wits end with this and I have to admit it's scaring me really bad. I get thinking too much and get myself convinced I'm dying of some sort of disease. I know......going over board a bit, but I"m really getting worried. If anyone figures this out, please let us know.

I have the exact same problem and have been to countless docs, tried the same meds and just recently had a chest CT ( negative). I am on the one year mark and going crazy. I cough and bring up mucus all day long. I do not smoke.
Quiet when I sleep too !!

Please help

I found gargeling with a Teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water helpful.

Since around Thanksgiving 2007 I have suffered from white sticky throat mucous along with a slight queasy stomach. The mucous is most prevalent at night & when I awaken in the mornings. It is somewhat less
bothersome during the daytime hours. I have had bloodwork, had ultra-
sound for my gall blader which both came up okay. Besides the above I also have sore eyes & lack of apetite. Allergies have been ruled out. Any
suggestions that might help would be appreciated.

My wife has the similar symptoms during her pregnancy. I checked other similar webpage. One suggested it is related to abnormal thyroid function, possibly hashimotos thyroiditis. other symptoms may include fatigue, sore throat, stiffness and ache. Maybe you can talk to your doctor about this possibility and update it here. I want to know too.

Here is the link to that page:
https://www.steadyhealth.com/Excessive_Thick_Mucous_in_Throat_t82829.html

Do you also get small white things in the back of your throat? If so, I think you might have tonsil stones. I have had this problem for a few years and recently discovered it after talking to my boyfriend. He got it a couple times and looked it up online. I looked into it some more and found that they are tonsil stones.

I have had this problem all my life. It is your sinuses. When I was 6 years old my pediatrician said I had poor sinuses and that when I was 18 I would probably need sinus surgery. My mother blew him off, but he was RIGHT! I have and always have had sinus shiners (dark areas under my eyes that stem from my nose, and are from the base of my eye socket to the top of my cheek bone. They are not terribly noticeable unless I am sick, don't sleep or florescent light hits me in a certain way.

I have cleared and cleared and hocked and cleared and sometimes coughed. My grandmother who was visiting when I was a teen waited until I left the room to ask my mom, "does she ALWAYS do that???" referring to my throat clearing. I call it cranking my car.

I have also always been prone to stuffy nose. When in my late 20's I developed total blockage for 3 days straight. I was going insane. I was a single mom and working was not optional. In spite of what I know about OTC nasal sprays I went to the drug store on my break and bought some Afrin. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I and now addicted for more than 10 years. I do not have a hole in my septum nor any erosion. I hope it stays that way until I can afford rhinoplasty.

There is something called a Neti Pot that supposedly can clear all this up by cleansing your sinuses. Dr. Oz Demonstrated one on Oprah once. I have not bought one yet but I plan on buying 2. One for me and one for my son. You fill the pot with luke-warm water (tap is fine). Leaning over the saucer & turning your head to one side you place the spout of the pot onto one nostril. Pour the water into the nostril. Keep pouring. Keep pouring. Finally the water will start to come out the other side and hopefully land in the saucer. People have reported being able to get off OTC nasal spray after using the Neti Pot 3 times, that the constant mucus that slides down their throat all the live long day is gone, they do not have to clear their throats continually and no mucus is caught on their vocal chords (this symptom was a nuisance for me). Try it and see what happens. What have we got to lose?
Here is a link with demo and I think ordering info.
****

**edited by moderator**

Well, I was on this post last January and here I am in October with still no answer. I don't think I'll ever have one. I don't think any of us will. I find it amazing that doctor's can NOT figure out thick sticky mucus in throat and what to do to get rid of it. I mean they can figure out cancers and treatment for it and all sorts of crazy diseases but this stumps them.
I have used the saline treatment, which I figure it like the netti pot. It did me no good, but if the netti pot works please let me know........I'll try anything since nothing has ever worked for me. I hate to think that this is it. No more dates, no more outings.......I just want to go to work and get it over with so I can come home and hide. I hate this stuff. A year and a half later I'll say this , I had a doctor say to me "you think this is ruining your life? You should be thankful it isn't something serious" after she said it I felt like a fool, but a year and a half later........I can say "yes, it is ruining and running my life"

I have suffered with allergies all my life. I have found that the following works (almost) every time.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nasal-lavage/MM00552
I started doing this every night before bed. It works wonders!

I also found that boiling a yellow onion or spanish onion will clear mucus in about 20-30 minutes. You chop up the onion and boil . sip the broth.

Good luck.

I too feel like all of you and am very frustrated with the excessive mucus thing. Over the months it has gotten a little better but I still have not been able to get rid of it completely. I developed this symptom a few months after i had protected sex with a woman in Mexico during spring break and though I had aids. I finally gathered the courage to get myself tested since I was convinced that was the only thing it could be. I got tested and was negative. Thank god. I came across this bulletin which I hope will help all of you. Im in the process of checking if im suffering from this fungal infection. You will find this site very interesting. We may be suffering from a fungal infection in the mucous membrane. Then fungal infection is known as Candida Albicans. Here are some useful links.
http://www.candida-albicans.org/
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/RespiratoryDisorders/messages/2448.html

I am allergic to you name it...dust, pollen, burning leaves or dry leaves, certain perfume, cigarette smoke, etc. Some of these are worse when my allergies kick in. As for the having to feel the need to clear my throat all the time, I'm also guilty. Some days I don't feel the need to, other days I feel like every few seconds I have to clear it. Like something is stuck in my throat. It drives me nuts. My throat is sore by the time I feel like whatever feels stuck has dislodged. I suffer from sinus and allergies bad and during the fall months are the worst, one of the reasons I dislike fall so much. When I feel achey and sick, with headaches and drainage, the doctors say the same thing...Sinus infection. Although, to me, sometimes I feel different. I feel like I have the flu, possibly tonsilitis or strep throat, but the verdict's always the same. I too am sick of it. My mom was a chronic sinus sufferer and finally was able to get some meds that helped lessen the times that she had sinus infections. Of course that wouldn't work for everyone. I'm sick right now but have not been to a dr this time. I've had sinus or some kind of infection more than 5 times this year. This time I felt like I had the flu, and right now my head and neck still hurt. Advil helped relieve the pain, but Tylenol I found out, did nothing, for me it usually helps. This might sound gross, because it does to me, but I had a booger get lodged in my throat to where it burned my throat. I couldn't get it out one way or another. Finally it did come out to where I became physically ill. My throat still hurts. But when I looked at it, it seemed large to me. About dime size or a little smaller with some blood in it. Does anyone know what that could be? I tried looking it up, with no luck. Hope you all get to feeling better or find some help that works.

these symptoms are due to a low thyroid problem that is overlooked by most doctors, and the blood tests are not a good test. most thyroid tests are not thorough.I know because I had these symptoms until I was finally diagonosed. Baby

I'm having the same problem, for about 9 months now. It started after moving to an apartment with carpet, and also coming back from a vacation overseas (so I'm not sure if it's the carpet or the trip) It's very annoying, and my wife complains about the annoying spitting noises I make trying to get that c**p out of my throat. I went to an ear nose and throat specialist a few times, and nothing seemed to help except the antibiotic Avelox. After taking it for 6 days it stopped, for like 3 days, but then came back. I only had 6 pills, so I think it wasn't enough. I just received 14 more pills (had to order online, the doctors give you a hard time about getting them sometimes) for about $150. I'm currently on my third pill, the mucus seems to be running less frequently. I won't know for sure until I finish taking the medication, this time I'm going to use the medicine for 14 days, one pill a day (at night, as this pills makes me dizzy and sleepy).