For the past year and a half I have suffered from a thick mucus in my throat. Here's whats is going on, my symptoms are; thick mucus in back of throat (hard to swallow it away or cough it up), dry mouth (no matter how much water I drink the dry mouth is still there), burping (burping only occurs randomly when I feel the mucus in the throat, mostly tasteless burps). I noticed it only happens when I'm sitting for a long period of time where I get the dry mouth, burping, and mucus i.e. Class, or a movie. To find relief I would need to stand up and/or walk around for while. Also randomly happens if I just finished eating something, then I would have dry mouth and burping alot, but NO HEARTBURN. When the symptoms first arrived I visited my doctor who then directed me to a ears, nose, throat doctor. That doctor looked at my nose, ears, mouth, and even did the exercise where he sticks the camera in your nose and down your throat. He saw nothing and prescribed me on OMEPRAZOLE 20 MG for one month. That did not help at all, and I didn't visit him back until 4 months later. The next visit I did he checked me out again but did not do the exercise. He did however find that the membranes in my nose were very pale and swollen. He then prescribed me FEXOFENADINE HCL 180 MG for a couple of months. Once again that didn't help, I tried to do a little experiment with myself, whenever I would get the symptoms I would quickly take the Medication to see if it helped, but it didn't. I continued to take it anyway for 5 months. I then decided to go to an allergist. The allergist did the routine checkup and looked in my nose and said the membranes in my nose are very pale and large (So i'm guessing the fexofenadine didn't do anything to help my nose). He came to the conclusion that I may have non-allergic rhinitis which caused the post nasal drip. He prescribed me a nose spray (AZELASTINE HCL 137 MCG). And I have taking that for about 2 weeks, and I still feel the mucus in my throat, but I am able to breathe a bit better through my nose. A couple days back I needed to go to Manhattan so I took the train from LongIsland which is 45 mins and unfortunately had an episode. Now I took the spray about 20 mins before I boarded the train and as I sat down I had no feeling of mucus in my throat. Until about 20 mins in the ride I a very dry mouth that water didn't help since I carry a bottle with my everywhere and alot of tasteless burping, but no mucus. So I have no idea what it is anymore I don't expect the spray to work crazy fast since my membranes probably pale for a year now. Couple things to clear up though I never had a stuffy nose, or had anything drip from my nose, I did however when the episode would happen and I would need to sneeze I wouldn't be able to sneeze because of the dry mouth I suppose. Now I just need some input on what it could be, and also should I go back to the ear, nose, throat doctor and have him put the camera back in my nose down my throat to see if there anything there now, since the first visit he saw nothing in my nose or throat, but the second visit he saw pale nose membranes??? Also could it be two different diseases??? Thanks!

bump a week later

I am curious about the final outcome of your dilemna.  I started reading this...and... WOW.  That is me!!  My diagnosis was enlarged terbanaides (sp?); the membranes in the nose.  I too was put on a nose spray (Nazonex) and Singular every night at bedtime.  While it calmed down somewhat, I still have the urge to clear my throat because of the nasal drip.  Also, part of the tests given were a swallow test and a complete allergy workup.  Everything was fine with the exception of the technician believing me to be a singer due to the rawness of my voice and voicebox.  (From coughing so much.)  I see the doctor in another week so I still don't know what to think for what the next step in treatment will be.

I completely forgot about this thread lol. Well a couple days after I last posted that I went back to the Allergist who told me that my condition has nothing to do with allergy's. He referred me to a Gastrologist. So I scheduled the appointment, told him my symptoms and he told me he wanted to try something. He had me lay down on my back and told me to pull up my shirt. He then pressed down on my stomach area and told me if I felt something. When he pushed down I felt pain on the area that was being pushed and also felt a little tingle in my throat area.
He told me he wanted to do a Upper Gi Gastroscopy. So we scheduled the appointment to have it done and I was on strict orders not to eat or drink about 8 hrs before I believe. Went in for the test, finished in about 10 mins, after the test he told me that there was clear signs of inflammation from the throat area down to the stomach. He confirmed I had acid reflux. He took some samples to see if it was cancerous and told me he'll tell me in a couple days. But other then that he prescribed me Dexilant 60mg, and told me that I should be fine in 4-5 months because of how inflamed the areas were. He then told me that some people have a much more sensitive nervous system then others which is why I kept having like a chocking tingly sensation when ever I would go through an episode. With that he also prescribed me Sulfate or Solf I think or something with an S I forgot since its been 1-2 years. But he said that "S" prescription will reduce the sensitivity and also coat the walls of my throat area and stomach so I don't get the chocking sensation.
As you can see its been about 1-2 years since then and I happy to report that I am completely fine. Took the meds for about 5-6 months, then stopped. I don't get anymore episodes, unless I overdo it on my eating of like pasta with tomato sauce (tomatos very acidic causes reflux) The Acid Reflux caused the Post Nasal Drip I was having.