have any of you guys had any turp surgery? i am suffering from an enlarged prostate and in the future turp surgery might become necessary for me. i wanted to know if turp surgery is safe, like my doctor claims, and a relatively minor surgical intervention? does turp surgery have any side effects and if it does, then what are the side effects?

well, where to start? First the good news, no more trouble peeing !I'm 6 weeks into recovery and at this point i have a slight to moderate pain at the end of each and every urine flow. the neck of my penis hurts as well at the end of each urination. I no longer take flomax, don't need it. Cannot pee as much as before sometimes,and  it feels as though i'm not going to make it to the bathroom feeling like i'm going to pee a 5 gal bucket full only to get out one small squirt and have pretty hard pain in my penis. Next time i may void a normal amount without hardly any discomfort at all.I've found if you drink plenty of lemon juice it helps the pain to not be so bothersome. Sex is a little painful at climax and of course you'll have retrograde ejaculation from now on but to be able to pee and still have sex, it's something i myself can live with. I do hope this annoying pain at the end of every pee goes away and the feeling of tremendous urgency only to pee a few drops sometime's goes away as well. That's my experience so far , good luck.

Hi there,

I have read your account of TURP operation and wondered if the symptoms that you described have improved, I too am thinking of having the same procedure.

Many thanks David

I had a TURP (actually 2 of them) about 18 months ago. My prostate was so large, the uro was unable to remove enough tissue in the 1st pass (there is a time limit as to how long the surgery can last), so he had to go back in 6 weeks later. You may suffer from retrograde ejaculation. But other than that I really have felt no long term symptoms post recovery. You can pee good, and can stop meds like Flomax and stop cathing (if you ever need to do that). The one thing to understand is that your prostate will continue to grow after a TURP and the symptoms will likely reappear some time down the road. Mine has grown so much I may be looking at a more extensive operation in the months ahead.

I have just had the TURP OP only 8 days ago. First thing I would say is that I had no pain post op what so ever!!! even in the recovery room I could not belive I had just had an op!! That said I felt so good on the 7th day I desided to do a bit of shopping and over did things, and boy do I know about it now.

SO

1/ Listen to the Dr's when they say no heavy liffting or straing for 4 weeks.

2/ Yes you WILL HAVE R.E. (retrograde ejaculation) look it up, I am single so this causes me no great hardship at the moment, but some guys I have read from seem almost suicidle over it

3/ It may not work for every one, but it cannot make your peeing any worse. ( I hated using the intermitent cathater 4 times a day, at the moment I am still using it once a day with hope of it getting better as time goes on)  remember only 8 days!!

4/ No guareentee, the prostate can still grow back over time meaning you may need the op again. but I see it as any releaf is better than none at all.

You have to weigh up what is best for you, but I would say go for it.

I had my TURP a few years ago and I'm sorry I waited as long as I did. I can't number the performances that I had to run out of to get relief.

I went into the hospital on morning #1 and had the procedure done under general anesthesia. A catheter was placed. Next morning the catheter was removed and I went home. Urinating was a little uncomfortable and some small clots came out with the flow. At no point did I take any pain medication as I did not need it.

It truly changed my life for the better. The retro ejaculation isn't unpleasant and the pleasure is not diminished. 

Best thing to do. When I gone pee now, I have to brace myself and am done in seconds while before, it took a longer time to void my bladder

I would consider HoLep with one of the outstanding facilities. I had it over a year ago with excellent results. Never used a pad and doing great. Dr. Lingeman performed the surgery--I would not even consider turp.

I had the operation 3 months ago and I have pretty much exactly the same symptoms.

Hi, my partner is having turps in a couple of weeks. He is aware of the possibility of retrograde ejaculation afterwards. But to be honest from what I have read on the internet, this is almost a certainty and I dont feel he is prepared mentally.

What I would like to know is how I can support him through this as his partner, to ensure his self confidence is not affected. Thanks

Get the Procedure Now and do not Wait! I waited for almost a Year and Regret the Wait now that it is Over! Highly Recommend this for Anyone with Enlarged Prostate and Urination Problems!

I am now 8 weeks after my TURP, I had completely stopped urinating altogether twice within a couple of months and anyone that has had the same symptoms will know this is murder.  I had a catheter fitted on each occasion.

After my TURP peeing is brilliant, I can only liken the first time i peed (after the removal of the catheter that was fitted after my operation) as being like a firehose, as thought i was 15yrs old again.

During the first couple of weeks, pink urine, few small blood clots, slight burning when peeing, slight discomfort when sitting on a hard chair but none when sitting on a sofa.

I did not have any heavy bleeding (that they say you may have after 10 to 14 days after surgery) when the scab comes away.

i have had no problems with erections (they seem better than before my TURP) and best of all no retrograde ejaculation in fact ejaculation is better than before because the restriction has been removed.

The only two things I still have is an intermittent type of strong (can't say it's a pain ?) feeling at the tip of my penis at the end of urination, think this is due to nerve inflammation damage in the urethra, i am waiting for it to heal, I do have medication for this if it gets bad called Naproxen 500mg which works magic (for me anyway).  The other one is that I still have some urgency, when you gotta go you gotta go PROMPTLY!.

This has been my experience of my TURP procedure but there again everyone is different, only to add that I had a brilliant surgical team.

Best Regards to all.  

Further to my previous post, I would highly recommend that you don't make the same mistake as I did. This was stopping drinking plenty of water after about the first three weeks after my TURP when I started to feel better and started to just drink my normal amount of tea or coffee which was probably about four cups a day, I am now back to drinking about 1.5 to 2 Ltr's of water a day, there are plenty of debris in there that need flushing out, as previously stated I am now 8 weeks after my TURP and still passing tiny bits of debris which I monitor by peeing in a container before pouring it in the loo and I will carry on doing this until my urine is completely clear.

Look into something else. No many side effects. Bleeding retro leaking and it can take up to a year to heal. It's not the fix all it once was. There is a 20% degrease in turp surgery because a lot of me don't like the side effect. And they found out a less invasive procedure will work.

Hello I had the surgery done 2 weeks ago and it is quite painful and discomforting. Especially when they do what they call the flushing of the blatter.
The next day that I was released from the hospital I ended up with a urinaire infection.
They removed the catheter 3 days ago and my penis has not stopped dripping bloody pee since.
If I happen to fall asleep I wake up full of pee and have to change my diaper et pyjama.
Long live depends diapers for men.
I had a catheter in before and had no problems what so ever I regret having this surgery done.
NOTE: I am only 5 years old