I am diagnoised with a slightly enlarged prostate and stretched out bladder. my dr. wants to do the green light laser on me and I am concerned about side affects .... are there any guys out there who have had the surgery and can tell me what to expect?

My husband is 3 weeks into the surgery and has had problems every day.

Mega trips (STILL) to the bathroom day and night. He is still having blood in his urine; passes scabs/clots; pain and stinging. His surgeon finally gave him a Rx for Pyrididine which helped with the pain. This should have been given him when he first left the hospital. He will NEVER have this surgery again! Several years ago he had the microwave surgery which was very successful for several years and had very little side effects or post surgery pain. Our advice is to try Rx's first.

I Had Laser Prostate surgery on Dec 13 and the first week was pretty rough. Pain, nausea, vomiting and could not pee at all after the catheter was removed the first time (next day) Had to get another cath in for a couple of days. Had burning pain for 17 days. The first day i could pee, I went 17 times in 18 hours.  I still have frequency, but every day is better now. Almost no pain or burning. I think everyone's experience is different.  They say it will get better in time. Hope this helps. Had no problem getting back night/morning erections. Even got one with the catheter in. That was rather bizarre.  That can be a side effect: Impotence.

RJ

Don't do Green Light if you want to have normal sex afterwards!!  I am having retrograde ejaculation, which depends on how your surgeon does the procedure.  The Greenlight promo brochure states 30% of patients will experience retro ejaculation for up to three months post-op but that usually goes away.  Various other web sites about the procedure have that same info. I'm five weeks post op, am experiencing the retro thing accompanied by significant pain in the final parts of the retro ejaculation, and today the surgeon told me that the way he does the procedure the retro thing is 100% guaranteed and worse yet it will be permanent.  Direct quote: permanent retro ejaculation is the price you paid to have a better stream.Don't know why he does it this way but he didn't make it clear before the procedure.  Had he done so I would have found a different surgeon.  I'm only 57 and my sex life is now over thanks to this procedure.

PVP two years ago.  Outpatient.  Excellent results.  Quite painless, some blood in urine for a few days as  expected.   No catheters or Foley bags for me for the last two years.  Normal (blessed) urination for TWO years and counting.  Considering how many posts are showing depressingly negative results, I hesitate to post one so positive since it might result in more folks having negative post op experience.  Depends on the surgeon, I suppose.

During the two year's time, there were  two occasions lasting a couple of days in which blood appeared in the urine, but the problem healed itself.  Retrograde ejaculation was minimal but definitely occurred.

You will have retrograde ejaculation and very bad pain when going to the bathroom you will still go frequently You will have to wear a pad cause you can not controll yourself the pills that you will take will make you pee blue and green Worse surgery to have

Chris... I had the Holep operation done about 2 months ago... so far it has been fantastic. It is difficult to find a Dr of hospital that knows about it. Mayo clinic is a proponet of this.... Phoenix and Rochester Minn. My doctor, Dr Dora was trained by them he is located in Tampa Fl and is a great, highly skilled, and caring person. Basically 1 day and 1/2 and you are out & done. Very minimal bleeding and no pain whatever. Am just about 68 yrs old... this is well worth checking out if you haven't had any surgeries yet!

I am 3 weeks into the green laser prostate surgery... Very little bleeding when urinating.
Still taking the Urogesic Blue to help with PH of the urine and eliminating any pain during urination. Am experiencing retro-grade ejaculation, but not having any erection
or orgasm problems. Dr. said it would take a couple months or so to heal the bladder
as they laser some of it also to tighten the stretched tissue. No leaking or dribble.
Can urinate a full 7 oz's now, with only two trips to the bathroom now at night. The best part is no UTI's anymore from urine retention.

I am 10 weeks post op for the green laser.. Minimal pain afterwards but make sure u take the urogesic blue to change your urine PH for no pain when urinating..
Still having retrograde ejaculation. I am 71, with no erection problems.
Two trips to the bathroom now at night instead of 4 or 5. No more UTI's
and can release almost 7 oz of urine now vs. 3 or 4. Don't know if retrograde problem
will go away, but orgasms still good.

under no circumstances have this done

it does not cure nocturia and i still have flow start problems

your sex life will be over for good

be kinder if they just killed me instead of this