I had Holep surgery with Dr Masel in Hollywood florida at Pembrooke Pines Memorial Hospital on September 21 ,2017 and I am thus six days out.My prostate was 122 grams and he excised 100 grams plus at least another 5 grams which was vaporized.My history was as follows I suffered urinary retention in August of 2015 necessitating putting me on Flomax.In March of 2016 I had TUMT which worked well for a while but eventually proved to be an inadequate treatment particularly if your prostate is large.I was lucky to find a local surgeon in Dr Masel who specializes in Holep surgery having learned his craft in New Zealand with the originators of the Holep technology.I went in at 7.30 am and was discharged around noon with a Foley catheter.The first day or two the urine was pretty pink but after two days i did not see any blood in my urine.The catheter was taken out after three days and I was able to pee right away like the proverbial race horse.Absolutely amazing to see a stream of urine like during my college days after a night of drinking.I suffered absolutely no pain after surgery and beyond.I was immediately totally continent and did not experience any pain in the tip of the penis as many Holep patients describe.I had zero bleeding after the catheter was removed and have little urgency to urinate other than when my bladder is full.Constipation is/was an issue but milk of magnesia minimizes the problem.i should mention that I am 76 years of age and in very good health.I discontinued Flomax pretty much immediately after the catheter came out.All in all so far an outstanding success much of which I attribute to the skill and expertise of Dr Masel.So for those of you who are hesitating to have this surgery my advice is do it.It will change you life for the better being out of the BPH prison.eric lodewijk fort lauderdale Fl

Eric.
Very happy to hear your procedure went well. I too had the procedure goong on 6 weeks i think it all has to do with how much Prostate the doctor needed to cut away. We me it was necessary to get into the neck of my bladder . My prostate was over twice the size and a lot of growth was in the neck, could hardly pee without much difficulty. Now i can pee like a horse but i am suffering from burning pain in the tip of my penis and sudden severe urges to pee when I hardly have any. It seems to be be a common occurrence with this sort of surgery. Doctor says it will get better. Oh and of couse the retrograde is a little depressing but it has not interfered with intercouse in fact it’s better. Gofigure!

Yes I am now five months out after Holep .my Qmax was 30 ml/second and zero retention in the bladder which is very good.I get up once a night usually around five am and I am very satisfied with the procedure particularly since my erections are much better.retrograde ejaculation does not bother me one bit

Hi Eric

I am in my 5th week after HOLEP. I, too, suffer from burning during urination and sudden urges to urinate all of the time. My doctor said he had to take a lot off of the neck of the bladder too. I suppose that has a log to do with my symptoms. How have yours been lately? Are they getting any better? Thanks. Ray

Celebrity

HoLEP causes constipation is news to me. Just wondering is constipation  is still a problem for u. also have time to give an update ?

Well, after 4 months after HOLEP, things have settled down now and I am doing well. I have no problems other than retrograde ejaculation. The doctor said he took everything out inside the prostate gland. Everything! Oh well, that is they way it goes.