I had PVP laser surgery on may 9, 2006. my prostate at the start was 186cc. The doc said he vaporized about 30-50cc. I have had painful urination for the entire six weeks after surgery. Still a weak stream, frequency and urgency coninues which i could tolerate except for the painful urination at the tip of the penis and at the end of voiding. Doctor also said I may need 2-3 more PVP surgeries as an option since the prostate is so large.... when I spoke to him on followup exam two weeks ago, all he said was try to get by with the painful urination and see him again in 4-6 weeks....HELP - what can I do or take to releive the painful urination??

Well, I know that all of the symptoms you are experiencing are normal because I am also about to under go the surgery, so I asked some questions about the procedure and post op symptoms and recovery.

I read that urinary problems like frequency and light bleeding may last up to a month but not longer and that they may be relived by drinking a lot of water. As for the burning sensation, it is said it would last for only two weeks.

I guess, everything is not like they say. I would even think of some kind of urinary infection in your case but you saw they you have been seen by your doctor and I reckon he had it checked. And it is said that they do not appear often with PVP.
I suppose that your doctor has experience and knows how it goes. I haven’t met anyone with this experience yet.
Why don’t you ask form some anti-inflammatory drugs or painkillers?

Did you ever get help with this? I have the exact same problem/symptoms.

Still experiencing pain in penis head immediately after urinating..6 weeks after Greenlight. Any others out there...does pain go away and if so when? :-(

I'm coming up on two(2) months post-op after having the greenlight laser procedure for my BPH and it aint no picnic. At the present time I'm experiencing over active bladder, frequency of urination and what I would describe as a hard muscle spasm to the point of being painful immediately following completion of urination. Before I had the procedure I was getting up anywhere from once to 3 times during the night, depending on how much I drank in the hours before going to bed. Now, it's every 2 hours and you can set your clock by it. With the OAB problem, the urgency is like, right now and there's no holding it back but here's the kicker - when I do go it's usually only a couple of tablespoons of urine and it feels like you've got a full bladder. I went off my Flowmax after I had the procedure but I'm going back on it to see if it makes a difference.

Bottom line, I'm going to tuff it out for a while longer and see if that muscle spasm thing works itself out and I'm hoping the Flomax will help that some.

I just had the PVP about 5 weeks ago and am experiencing exactly the same symptoms you are. And there has been no change over the last 3 weeks. I have been on several post op medications and the only imrpovement has been that the blood clots and bleeding have disappeared. My doctor has been less than forthcoming about future prognosis and it is terribly frustrating to have to plan every activity by having to know where the nearest bathroom is!

One more week and it will be two months since I had the procedure. My biggest complaint right now is quite trivial compared to what some of you guys are experiencing, and that is every once in a while when I'm in a bent over position and especially if I'm lifting something, I dribble. Also, just to show what a long recovery period this is, I'm still passing pieces of scab. The other night on one of my visits to the john I passed a chunk of that stuff that was so big it actually made my pecker hurt for a while afterwards. As far as the frequency is concerned, that's just a nuisance that I've learned to live with. I know where every restroom in town is and if I'm driving someplace there's always a fastfood joint along the highway that I can get to in a hurry. I'm still experiencing the urgency, which wasn't there before but I'm hoping that time will improve on that, knowing that the bladder muscles take a long time to return to a normal state after a long period of having to work really hard to try to empty the bladder due to the obstruction that was there. I'm no longer taking Proscar or Flomax, which really didn't seem to be making any noticable difference, and instead take Saw Palmetto and Pygeum.

Something I've been wondering about. You guys that are having such a rough time of it, which laser system did they use on you? I know the early lasers weren't as powerful as the new ones, which is what I had. I had to wait a couple of months until my urologist got the new laser he ordered, which was the newer, more powerful model. I do recall a conversation we had in which he indicated that there were problems with the older, less powerful lasers. Just a thought.

Had PVP procedure 5 days ago and am quite pleased so far. I was released from the hospital 5 hours after surgery. I had some burning sensation for a few days but it very minimal now, getting less each day. In response to the type of lasar used, my surgeon used a Holmium which only burns about .5 mm, a lot less than the older PVP lasars. The bleeding was gone in less than 2 days. I have a strong stream now and am getting up at night just once, compared to the presurgery of 2-3 times. Before surgery I took uroxothral and Avodart. The Avodart shrunk the prostate but killed my sex life (I am 63). I quit taking it about a month ago and the sex drive returned. I do not know the size of my prostate, my surgeon said it was very large, my prostate not my penis. My biggest complaint is when I can resume a sexual relationship. I was told to wait 2 weeks. Don't know if I can make it that long, another 9 days. I wish I had had this procedure a year ago. Good luck fellows.

I HAD GREENLIGHT LASER SURGERY ON 11-30-06. NOT AS ADVERTISED.
I HAD A CATHETER IN WHEN I WOKE FROM THE PROCEDURE AT 4PM ON A THURSDAY AND A NURSE CAME TO MY HOME AND REMOVED IN BEFORE NOON ON FRIDAY. MY PROSTATE LOCKED AND I COULD NOT
VOID AND I HAD BEEN ADVISED TO DRINK LOTS OF WATER. WHHEEE!
I WAITED 7 HOURS FOR A NURSE TO RE-INSERT THE CATHETER.
THE CATHETER WAS LEFT IN THRU THE WEEKEND THEN IT WAS REMOVED AND I EXPERIENCED A REPEAT OF THE LOCK UP SO I RE-INSERTED IT MYSELF.I PASSED LARGE CLOTS OF BLOOD AND LOTS OF BLEEDING. FINALLY, 6 DAYS AFTER SURGERY, I WAS ABLE TO
URINATE AND I WENT INTO THE OFFICE, HAD A 2 HOUR MEETING AND
EVERYTHING WAS FINE FOR 2 DAYS, THEN I BEGAN TO EXPERIENCE
FREQUENCY AND URGENCY AND PAIN THAT BROUGHT TEARS TO MY EYES AND MADE ME STAND ON MY TOES AS I URINATED. NOW, 25
DAYS AFTER SURGERY, I OFTEN WET MY PANTS BECAUSE THE
NEED TO URINATE COMES ON IN FLASH, AND THE PAIN IS OFTEN AS SEVERE AS IT WAS 2 WEEKS BACK- AS THOUGH A HOT POKER IS
BEING THRUST THROUGH MY ANUS TO THE TIP OF MY PENIS. THE PAIN
IS LESS SEVERE IN THE EARLY MORNING, JUST AFTER I WAKE, AND
GROWS STRONGER AS THE DAY PROGRESSES. I AM GIVING UP COFFEE
WINE, ETC., AND GOING ON STRAIGHT WATER.

10 DAYS AFTER SURGERY I VISITED MY SURGEON AND RELATED THE
FREQUENT URININATION, BLOOD CLOTS, PAIN ETC., AND HE ADVISED THIS WOULD CONTINUE FOR 3 MORE WEEKS.

I WAS THINKING THAT HE WANTED TO SAY ' HEY, IT COULD BE WORSE,
IT COULD BE ME.'

I had surgery late Oct. 2006, green laser. Stayed overnight in hospital,
had cath removed, went home, couldnt pee, went to ER for stat cath and had cath in for 2 days till I saw Dr. again. After that I could pee on my own. Passed blood clots for 6 weeks. Had one clot that acted like a ball valve and would stop my flow in mid urination. Owww. Almost had to self cath myself but it eventually passed in 2 days. Now my frequency and urgency are increasing. I am peeing at night every 1.5 to 2 hours. The flow rate has improved but the urgency is much worse. I am only peeing 50-100 cc. per time. And recently when I lay down at night I am having almost continuous urgency that is keeping me awake. I go to pee and 5cc or less comes out. This is very discouraging as I am a wreck at work the next day. In addition I am experiencing retrograde ejaculation which I knew could occur. However what I wasnt told was that there is a near total loss of orgasmic feeling that comes from normal ejaculation. I really cant tell if I have had orgasm or not, other than my erection goes away. So sex is much much less enjoyable. Maybe it is not the same for all men. If you are considering this surgery, be very careful. I had it done at a university center by a doctor with top credentials. It has been a very rough ride with little in the way of support. And my wife has put up with a lot of stress on her part as well. It is now 9-10 weeks after surgery and I am not a happy person. I am hoping things will improve. :'(

Its been two weeks. I went home with cathator overnight and removed the next day. I had immediate improvement in urine flow. It was wonderful.
The first week I passed a few drops of blood in the urine (for a couple of days I didn't pass any. Than the second week it has reoccured with burning. However, sudden urgency and frequency is much improved. I can actually watch TV for a couple hours without having the urge. I do have sudden urgency now post op if I have a very full baldder and if I wait too long I will wet myself. I also the first week would wet myself in trying to shut down peeing. That's pretty much been resolved. I just had my two week checkup. The burning is getting worse and I'm passing a little more blood. The doctor said my urine was questionable and put me on levaquin (sp). I suspect I have either a urinary or prostate infection. I hope that resolves soon. My doctor said I will probably have my wetting and blood issues resolved soon.
He still won't let me lift anything over 10 pounds. He said I could have sex.
I checkout out the system, and I do have retrograde ejaculation. Had I not had he said some blood would have come out. The ogasm wasn't great, but than I always judged my orgasms on the arount of fluid that came out. I can't no that anymore. Its an ego thing I'll have to live with.
al

I just had PVP surgery a week and a half ago. My experience has not been as bad as you guys. I have an over active bladder; so I am taking a drug called Enablex. It has really helped. I also had burning urination for a couple of days after the surgery. I was taking a drug called Phenazopyridine; it turns your urine orange but really helps the burning. I don’t need to take it now. I've been lucky, I'm only getting up half as much as I was at night. The flow is much better now. I do seem to have a soreness in the area I have always thought of as the sphincter muscle I don't know if it's related but I'm thinking it is. I would be interested if any of you have had a similar problem. I have some leakage and some urgency but really no worse than before and it seems to be improving. Good luck to all of you.

I had PVP Laser surgery 6 weeks ago. I had pain on urinating and bleeding for 4 weeks with bladder urgency & pain. That has mostly subsided now. I have retrograde ejaculation and the intensity of orgasm is greatly diminished which is a major issue for me now. If orgasm was rated on a scale of 1-10 with 10 the best, my pre-op was a 10 and now it is a 1.

I am also having difficulty recovering and my doctor makes me feel like I am bothering him each time I talk to him or e-mail him. This is my 2nd operation. I had a TUIP in November and now a PVP laser in Feb. The first did not work, so I had a 2nd. He was supposed to use a Holmium laser, but during the operation he changed it to a PVP because some filiment wasn't available for the Holmium. SOunds like grounds for lawsuit if you ask me. In any event, 7 weeks after the procedure, I am going more frequently than I ever have. All day long today I went at the most, every 5 minutes and the least, every 20 minutes. At this rate I will never drink anything again, just to stay in one place for an hour. At night it gets better, but I am not drinking anything either.
I am on vesicare, which to me, I should not be on it. SHouldn't surgery corret everything? My doctor told me to double the dosage and I already was, so it will be interesting to see. He also told me to wait 3 months and it will get better. How come on every website about PVP surgery it says recovery time is very short, a matter of days? Should I be worried? Should I seek out another doctor. He is supposed to be the best in my area, but I am questioning that.

Scott

Contrary to literature PVP, TURP and TUIP are not always simple "two weeks and you'll feel better" procedures. Although you cannot see the wound site this is till a significant trauma and your body takes time to recover from it. Even for the lesser TUIP (also known as a Bladder Neck Incision) they say that full benefits of the operation will not usually be experienced until 8 to 12 weeks after surgery. The wound doesn't fully heal for 6 to 12 weeks.

PVP and other operations remove an obstruction which is why obstructive symptoms get better quite quickly. However they do not immediately resolve irritative symptoms. This is because your bladder gets in bad habits and even though the obstruction has been removed it continues to try and push urine out the way it's gotten used to. Symptoms can take several months to resolve.

Bottom line is to stick with it. If you feel you're getting gradually better then it's a case of gritting your teeth and bearing it. If you feel things haven't improved or have got worse then you need to be discussing things with your surgeon. However, if the operation has been successful in terms of removing the obstruction generally speaking they will fade. It just takes time.