I had PVP laser prostate surgery 20 days ago. So far it has been hell. My Surgery was on a Thrusday Afternoon at 3pm, discharged at 5:15pm. By 11:30 pm I was in the ER with a blocked cath. Which had to be flushed and they had a return of about 200 cc. They then gave me the supplies to flush it myself if it became blocked again. They said my Bladder was empty when discharged. But within 2 hours I had a return of 1200cc. 4 days later the cath was removed and my doc said "your good to go, see me in a month". Then the nightmare began, it was 6 hrs before I could urinate on my own after cath removal. That night I urinated 36 times 50cc to 100 cc at a time. Each time my penis was seeping blood and my urine was bloody. When urinating It was like peeing fire. Meds helped some I'm sure, but not much. This continued for 4 days, after which I started to urinate about 200cc to 250cc but it was very hard to start urinating and the stream was a weak or a dribble. I contacted the Doc he said go back on your Hytrin 10mg a day and ripped my butt for calling him, said " Sir give it some time". The Hytrin helped and I can now get by on 5mg a day. Stream is much better and not going as often. Still have some bleeding but the worse is the pain at the base of the head of my penis after urinating. Does anyone know what is causing this? Also how long will this burning with urination last. I know all good questions for my Doc. But after getting my head bit off twice for calling I'm not about to call again. I'm done with him. I would never have had this surgery if I'd known I'd still be on meds. My primary physican was upset about the care given but thinks things will get better soon, I hope so. Should have just had the TURP.

Ironwolf,

I'm having similar problems post-surgery (last Thursday). had to go to the ER last night. I'm wondering if your situation has improved,

Hi Ironwolf,
I had a prostate surgery 6 weeks ago and was discharged the next morning.
Prior to being discharged, the catheter was removed and the attending nurse
gave me a container to measure the quantity of urine I was to pass.
I was passing blood instead of urine, and the nurse suggested that I drink more water.
As a result my bladder was so painful as it became bloated due to of inability to urinate.
A ruptured urine bladder might casue sepsis. A cath has to be reinserted to flush blood cloth
that is blocking the urine passage. Since the tube was too small and blood cloth can't flow
through, it has to be replaced by a bigger tube catheter.
A lot of blood cloth were flushed out.
The next day have to go to ER due to burning pain when passing urine, but was suggested to
come back the next day if the pain persisted.
And I did return the next day to flush out blood cloth from the bladder.
The next day went to see the surgeon who removed the catheter.
For 3 days everything went well, but on the fourth day have to ER again.
Again a catheter was inserted - the 4th catheter. Because the urine was clear during
10 minutes observation after the catheter insertion, the nurse ruled out blockage by
blood cloth. The attending physician asserted the possibility of urine passage inflamation
by trauma in the urine passage, but did not recommend taking further antibiotics as the
urine analysis shows no infection.
I had this 4th catheter for a week, then removed by the surgeon and until now the urine
flow is strong and clear, but I feel a slight pain after passing urine.
I believe that this pain is the result of a slight contraction in the urine passage that is no
longer normal after it was scraped during the prostate resection.
My suggestion for would be prostate surgery patient:
After the surgey and before being discharged, ask that the bladder be flushed from blood
cloth because the "irrigation" of the bladder immediately after surgery would not cleanse the
bladder entirely. Also request that the catheter not to be removed until after there is no more blockage/urine retention. Its easier to flush with the catheter on rather than having a catheter reinserted again.
Hope you are doing OK.
cukaca

It is the eight day post laser turp surgery for me. I felt like posting after reading ironwolfs post above. His post left me with tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. :-D His description of his post surgery experiences are very similar to mine.

My surgery was on Thursday morning. Just prior to surgery I mentioned having a pain in my chest, they immediately did a EKG and it was fine. I awoke from surgery to a painful burning feeling like I needed to pee very bad. (This feeling never went away until the tube was removed Monday at noon, although the pain gradually subsided.) A little while later the pain in my chest returned and they did another EKG. Again it was ok (probably gas), I'm 53 in good shape with no history of heart problems.

All this time they have big bags of saline flushing out my bladder (in through one part of the catheter and out through another), the outflow looked like watermelon juice. The plan was to go home that afternoon, but since I mentioned the gas, they decided to keep me overnight. This may have been a good thing because I was flushed until discharged at 3:00PM the next day. My outflow looked normal by then.

Did I mention catheters are a major pain? Not only do they make you feel like you need to pee all the time, but if you get morning wood like I do, well let me just advise you to keep some ice water and a rag close by. 

Removal of the catheter Monday was not nearly as bad as anticipated. After deflating the thing with a hypodermic syringe, my uro told me to take a deep breath and he slowly slid it out. Felt about like a bowel movement through the pecker. Pee'd like a racehorse the rest of the day with a burning pain before the start of the flow and a couple of minutes after the flow stopped. Toward nightfall the flow slowed considerably until by 10:00PM it was just a painful dribble. I took a flomax (first one since surgery), and went to bed thinking I would be at the uro's office when he got there in the morning. Got up to pee about 3:00AM and all I did was drip it out (panic city), but when I got up about 7:30, I had a small trickle again. Took another flomax and decided to wait awhile before running to the doctors office (it's an hours drive).

The flow was slowly getting better but still with the painful burning sensation and continued like that until this morning. This has been the best morning so far. Pretty good flow and the burning is almost gone! YEAH!!!

It's been 3 weeks now and thought I would give an update.

Monday was my 2 week post op follow-up with the uro. Things had been slowly getting better since my last report. The main burning came when I tried to squeeze out the last few drops after urination. These drops were all red, and burned like molten lava. Sunday morning I get up and pee'd like 3 seconds of pure blood then the rest was bloody urine with some black looking clumps coming out as well. That shook me up a bit. Then after church it happened again. I was a bit queasy the rest of the day worrying about all the blood loss.

Got to the uro the next day and he says all is well. All that was is the scab coming off the wound. When asked about the last few drops squeezed out after peeing being pure blood and burning like hell, he says not to squeeze out the last few drops.

Since peeing out the scab, every time I go now starts off with a lot of blood and even though I don't squeeze out the last few drops, it still burns. I have a great flow though. I can empty a full bladder in about 5 seconds now. This is not a surgery you want to have unless you have to have it. Not fun at all.

I had Laser surgery July 29, 2011 at 8:30 and was discharged by 11:30 and thought I felt fantastic when I was brought out of anesthesia. I'm not sure which Laser was used on me but I can assure you this is the worse pain I have endured in my life and I live with chronic back pain. I was of course giving a catheter and was supposed to wear it for a week well that was so painful and uncomfortable felt like I had to constantly urinate. Although i was urinating in the bag it still felt like I had to go and it hurt so bad I had to call the Dr. and ask him to remove which he did. After the catheter was removed the worse pain in my life begins every time I urinated which was constantly it felt like my penis was on fire, it was excruciating. I urinate quite frequently and the pain is so severe. i see the Dr. on Tuesday for my post op and from reading these other post it really scares me as to how long these symptoms will last. The Dr. gave me hydrocodone which to me is like candy because for my back pain I take morphine and it doesn't even come close to reducing the pain. That's how bad the pain is. I've had a few back surgeries and this is far worse than any surgery I have ever had or any pain I have ever experienced. I wouldn't wish this on anyone and would advise anyone that reads this to constantly check their prostrate. This is not something you want to not to keep up with. Your damned if you do and damned if you don't, if I didn't have it done of course it would have only gotten worse. What kinda is upsetting is that the Dr. did advise me as what to expect after the surgery in as far as the constant urination and the severity of the pain. It would have been nice to maybe to be prepared mentally for that. Good luck to any that has to go through this.

It's been 6 weeks now so here's an update.

A quick note to jpochron in the above post; in my reading about post surgery results, I came across a post from somebody about the cause of the painful burning while urinating. The poster said it is caused by acidic urine which you can check with a PH strip. The cure was to reduce acidity levels in your urine by drinking things like lemon water. I don't know if it works, but it might be worth a shot.

About a week after my last post I had another occurance of peeing a potful of blood with scabs coming out as well. Then a few more days of blood at the start of each urination with the associated burning. Finally about a week ago the blood stopped. This was great but at the same time I noticed that my flow was worse. Not terribly worse, just not as wide open as it was. The old familiar feeling of restriction while peeing was back. This seems to be getting better but is not gone to date.

I have not broached the subject of post surgery sex as yet but will say that last night was the least painful after climax so far. The painful burning of the prostate gland itself was down to about 1 minute, on a scale of 1 to 10 the pain level was down to a tolerable 4. Compared to the first time at the 3 week mark with a full 5 minutes at level 10 this was a breeze. Hopefully this will continue to improve as well. 

It's been almost 4 months so I am giving my final report.

About a week after my last report I experianced a 2 week time peiod where if I thought about having to pee, I had to get to a pot in a hurry! After that though, things leveled out and everything got much better. Now things are pretty much normal. I say pretty much because urination is now like it was when I was a teenager. But the sex still has a way to go. Still have a slight burning of the prostate after climax. But the climax itself is much better than it's been in years.  

Other than that though, I'm now very much glad I did it. It is so nice to be able to pee normally without having to take a pill. 

Had PVP on Tues Nov 15, 2011, at 9AM. Understandably very anxious pre-anaesthetic as I have never been in a hospital for any procedure except the biopsy I had on Sep 20 this year. The last face I saw before “my lights went out” was the surgeon’s cheerful face –he greeted me and I remember asking him, are you Dr XXX! J) I awoke at 11AM with ABSOLUTELY no physical discomfort of catheter. I knew that I would be catheterised and checked. Otherwise I wouldn’t have known it was there – no physical discomfort or sensation. It was removed after lunch at 13:00, and I voided successfully twice. By 14:00 I was discharged, and by 15:00 I was out taking photos of the neighbourhood where I stayed (I travelled interstate – in Australia – to have my PVP). I repeat - there was absolutely NO physical discomfort other than the EXPECTED severe burning sensation when voiding – I winced and actually tried to slow my new found gushing voiding stream because of the stinging burning sensation (caused by acidic urine on raw lasered urethra and prostate tissue). I  took anti constipation pills (brown and white collared pills, 4 of each all at once, while at hospital). This was followed by two Panadols after I left hospital – for the burning sensation when voiding. I took a two hour flight back home from the hospital the next morning after a brief follow up at surgeon’s office.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The burning sensation disappeared by 6AM next morning. There was darker blood tinge in urine immediately post PVP (while at hospital). For the rest of that day of surgery, it was almost clear urine. I began taking cranberry supplements – 2 capsules 10mg each, daily) from Nov 16. It was uneventful recovery from the day of surgery to Monday Nov 21. At 20:30 Nov 21,  I began voiding blood and the raw bleeding sensation of fresh from PVP, I had on the day of surgery, returned. It continued ALL nite and settled down by next morning. This was exactly a week after my PVP. Rang the hospital and was reminded that my recovery is “textbook” – day 7-14 marks the second phase, characterised by return of blood in urine – this is explained by the sloughing off of tissues from lasered sites. I am taking Ural to prevent infection. This is now day 9 and again it is uneventful – urine is “off and on”,  clear, mild, to moderately colored (brownish red) and cloudy (tissues still sloughing off). First “full force” stream came on day 3, but it is not always “full force” but instead, moderately strong stream. It has never returned to pre PVP “dribble, stop start”. First morning/ night time  penile erections returned on day 5, and has been recurring since with more frequency.

I am keeping a detailed log on Excel spreadsheet of all observations – characteristics of urine, frequency, fluid type intake each day, quantity of plain water intake. Each individual’s experiences with recovery “time lines” will differ. I still have “urgency”.  But I am drinking at least 1000 ml (1 liter) of fluids (825ml of this is plain water), daily. Pre PVP, for the past 12 months I had to cut water intake down to max of 500ml (and this only on hot days). The urgency problem takes time to resolve as the stressed out bladder has to readjust and recalibrate to the downsized bladder. It has been so used to “pushing so hard” to counter the enlarged prostate. I can easily go 2.5 hours between voiding with significantly increased fluid intake but when the “urgency” hits, I have to void.

The bladder has had its physical characteristics changed by all the  extra work it had to do to expel urine from the bladder. It takes time for the reversal of these “changed physical characteristics”. How long it will take depends on how long the individual’s BPH has persisted. My condition began deteriorating severely in the last 12 months. But initial symptoms surfaced as far back as 2003. The longer it has been, the more change the bladder has undergone due to all the extra effort it has to expend to fight against the enlarged obstructive prostate. Also, if an individual had encountered acute retention (where they cannot urinate and had to make an emergency visit to the hospital to be catheterized), the urgency problem will likely take longer to resolve. Be warned – such a scenario may also mean the bladder neck has been permanently damaged and “urgency” may never resolve post PVP or any other procedure. So for those who haven’t had PVP or non-laser procedure, do not wait until acute retention occurs before being forced to have BPH surgical correction.

In my case, I was never on medication. It was my revulsion of having to take medication that forced me to ignore my BPH for the past 5 years. I had hoped to put up with it. It was “liveable” until 12 months ago. It had deteriorated severely. Urination was extremely difficult – stop start dribble, with alot of exertion.  I consulted a Urologist after years of elevated PSA results. Biopsy was negative and I knew I wanted surgery. My research persuaded me that PVP was the way to go. The urologist who did my biopsy had actually booked me for TURP but I declined, and instead googled until I found a PVP urologist I wanted. I flew interstate to see him, asked many questions (from whether he had the latest XPS 180 Greenlight Laser, to retrograde ejaculation side effects). I had already decided I wanted PVP as my solution to my BPH. The questions was to keep me informed and educated.

No physical exertion allowed. I return to running next Tues, two weeks post PVP. As for retrograde ejaculation, I have to wait a minimum 3 weeks post surgery. Hoepfully I retain antegrade ejaculation. I discussed this with the surgeon during consultation. He modified his procedure to allow me to keep  antegrade (as pre PVP) ejaculation.

I had green light laser surgery on 12-1-11.  Believe it or not I am still takin Uribel 3 times a day.  I do believe I am gradually getting better however.  I think my urethra must have been damage during the procedure because I still have a little minor pain when urinating.  Also I can only have sex about 2 times a week as I get pain with more than that.  This surgery has taken a lot more recovery time then I expected.  It may be my doctor.  After the surgery I learned that another doctor in the office had a lot more experience.  So may suggestion is do plenthy of research before getting this done.  Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will be back to 90 - 95 percent.

I have the same pain how long did your pain last are you now through with pain from the penis base and end?

CEF wrote:

jpochron wrote:

CEF and Jpochron,
How are you guys doing? Did the burning/stabbing pain on urination get better? And if so, how long did it take?

I am 13 days post op and have the same pain on urination, like peeing battery acid during and for a short time after, more than a dozen times a day. Am trying the lemon water to see if that helps. On a scale of 1 to 10 the pain has been between a 6 and 8 from day 1. I'd be happy with a level 4 like some other posters.I think I'm getting better at coping with it, but don't think it has improved at all. Other posters in other forums say this can last weeks or months.

Gyroman,

Thanks so much for posting about the lemon water. I am 14 days post GL and urinating has been torture. Yesterday after reading your comment, I squirted a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice into 20 ounces of water and drank it. Over the next hour I had 6 full force, relatively painless urinations. I read on another forum that half strength cranberry juice helped someone. A few hours later I had 16 ounces of half strength cranberry juice cocktail. It also helped, not as much as the lemon water but was less diuretic. This afternoon I had 16 ounces of half strength cranberry juice with a couple of squirts of lemon juice from the bottle. My pain so far has gone down from about a 9 to a tolerable 6, and the after burn down from about a minute and a half to just a half minute. Other than the burn I have no real complaints, so I'm grateful for your post. I've tested my own urine with a test strips and it has consistently been 6.5 (slightly acidic). The theory that drinking something slightly acidic would cause your body to compensate and turn your urine more alkaline (and therefore burn less) makes sense to me, and seems to work.

NJRetiree wrote:

gyroman wrote:

Gyroman,

I had my PVP on Nov 15, 2011. The severe burning sensation during urinating lasted only on the day of PVP. When I woke up the next day, it was gone. So did the mild bleeding.

It has been almost 7 months and I have no complaints except for the frequency.Residual bleeding after strenuous such as running, last happened on day 102, on 25Feb. I resumed running regularly, 2 weeks after PVP. Between this time and 13 Dec, there was some blood tinge in the urine after running. That completely cleared up from 14 Dec.

I passed out scab/ scar tissue on 21/11, 24/11, 27/11. That was it. The first time a scab temporarily blocked urination was the scariest. But it popped out.

I took URAL for a week after PVP. Only took two Panadol Forte immediately after PVP. No more pain meds thereafter. Also drank cranberry juice for a month post PVP. But I definitely did not suffer the severe burning sensation you have described.

For 6 months I logged details of every urination, description and photo of specimen, etc. I did it so that I can be alerted to any unusual changes. It also tracks my frequency. My average volume of urine is 125ml. The max is 325ml and that occured in the middle of the night.

Another minor lingering issue is "urgency". When my body signals I have to go, I got to go! This relates to the frequency issue I mentioned at the start.I will have to contact my surgeon to discuss my hperactive bladder.

There is full orgasm sensation accompanied by retrograde ejeculation, with a small amount of ejeculate. From what I have read, it will gradually return if it is to return for a particular PVP patient. At 56, I am very young to have BPH.

Hi Hank,
Glad things are going well for you. I only had temporary success with the lemon water and cranberry. Today is day 16 and my wife suggested I try a tylenol. Everyone is different, but the tylenol has brought me the first day of relief I have had since the GL. My pain went from an 8 or 9 down to a 4 in 20 minutes, and has been there for the last 6 hours . This pain, a dozen or more times a day, was pure torture. If I have to take 2 or 3 tylenol a day I can do it , as long as it keeps working. I only took 3 of my vicodin (hydrocodone) because they worked too well and I didn't want to get used to them. But the tylonols work just as well, and no worries about getting a habit. My frequency is probably 8 times a day and 3 to 4 times at night. I don't consider it a problem, as I've had daytime frequency all my adult life and night frequency the last few years. The urgency can be a problem, I've had as little as 4 seconds warning and have gone through a lot of underwear. Very luckily I haven't had the retro. I know it's only day 16, but I've tested it 3 times, and everything is good there.