Hello Everyone,

I am hoping I can find someone on here that has gone through something similar or someone that may have some answers for me. Pardon my essay...

My name is Erin I am 26 years old and have been extremely healthy all of my life up until this past year. To give you a brief history, in December of '09 I collapsed at work and was rushed to the hospital to find out I had an ectopic pregnancy and needed emergency surgery. They had to remove a fallopian tube due to the damage but I recovered well and was told my ovaries and uterus were fine, etc. Well about 2 months later, I had a panic attack after taking an antibiotic and I developed a horrible anxiety disorder which I believe was caused by the traumatic event of the ectopic surgery. However, the anxiety was debilitating for 3 months until I finally was prescribed Zoloft. I took Zoloft for 3 months and took myself because I wasn't in love with how it made me feel but I also felt anxiety free for the most part. During this time while taking Zoloft I got back on birth control. The Nuva Ring. I was on the ring for a total of 4 months. I soon noticed that it started giving me anxiety and I then developed a bad bacterial infection so I was taken off of the ring and the dr. gave me a low does pill called Microgestin.
Now this is where things get weird...
Within the first 2 weeks of taking this pill, I started getting frequent and strong headaches. Even with my previous anxiety issues or BC I never really got headaches. It got so frequent and so uncomfortable, on Christmas Eve, (so last Friday) I stopped taking it and decided after the holidays I would speak with my Dr. to try something else. This past Monday (the 27th) at around noon, all of a sudden it was like BAM!!!! The same headache I had been suffering although 10,000 times more intense and painful hit like a ton of bricks and HAS NOT gone away. By Wednesday the 29th I finally went to the ER. I had literally not moved for 3 days and new something wasn't right. They admitted me immediately and I was given a CT scan, and once that was cleared, a Lumbar puncture (spinal tap). The Doctor said it sounded like a Thunderclap Headache and was concerned about a Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. The spinal tap came out clear so I was sent home with a script of Norco and that was that. I asked if this could be hormonal and/or birth control related and they said it very much could be but weren't sure. I woke up today with the same pain, and the Norco's didn't work. I called my Dr. and was then given a script for Percocet. I need 2 to alleviate any pain.

So with all of this said, I am left with this Thunderclap Headache and really have no idea why I got it and how long it will last?! I am 26 years old, a college student, support myself, and am trying to plan my wedding. I can't afford or emotionally handle this pain/stress. I need some type of answer regarding how long I can expect to feel this horrible. The pain is so bad I feel as if I am going crazy. I need answers as to how I got here. And if anyone knows if this could be from a hormonal imbalance of some kind and/or from my BC. Any answers are welcome!!! Thanks
~Erin

It could very well be hormonal since all this began around the time you started switching and taking different meds, but it also could be something that's non-related and just started to happen due to all the stress and anxiety you've been recently going through or maybe a vitamin defeincincy( you wouldn't belive what people go through just because they're missing or have low/high amounts of a key vitamin) But anyways I hope this can help, I watch this show called Mystery Diagnosis where people have been suffering with ailment for years and years. They go to a bigillion doctors and the doctors just put them off or wrongly diagnos them. But they never give up and after a while they find the right doctor and finally get the correct diagnosis. So now I say to you #1 Don't allow the doctors to put you off or say that there's nothing wrong with you because you know your body better than they do so you know when something isn't right, especially since you said you've been a very healthy person all your life. #2 The fact that all this pain is in your head could be a very serious thing and and when they did the CT scan they could have very well missed something. Sometimes people have such small injuries on their brain they can be missed, and even these small ones put them through so much pain. #3 Since the problem is pain in your head, you should probably go to a neurologist for starters. So I hoped that I helped a little and if you don't mind, keep me updated with how things go and if you ever get your answer.... O yeah some people on the show found their answer by searching the symptoms they had and taking what they found to the doctors.