:-( Hi there.

I suffer with anxiety and panic attacks and I am 7 weeks pregnant.

I thought I could cope without meds, but I had a panic attacks last night in bed. Im not sleeping, just waiting for the attacks to start.

I wondered, has anyone else suffered with this. What meds are safe to take in early pregnancy.

Thanks Liz xx

I suffer from pretty severe anxiety as well and my husband and I want to get pregnant but I keep putting it off b/c I'm so nervous about it. My doctor told me that Zoloft is okay to take during pregnancy and breast-feeding so I switched meds. and am taking that. It seems to work really well, but I'm still nervous about carrying a baby for 9 long months with the possibility of panic attacks. How do you feel now that you are pregnant? Have you had any panic attacks? (I'm just trying to prepare myself a little)

Posted: 02/25/08 - 04:08 Post subject: Chest pain related to anxiety
As a counselor and someone who has experienced panic epsiodes......a good non medical intervention.....read out loud while walking in a regular pattern ...in your house/outside....for twenty minutes. This occupies several parts of your brain, deals with the adrenaline being dumped into your system and regulates your breathing.

It's simple...but effective.
Back to top

lizzie67 Posted: 01/05/07 - 04:25 Post subject: Anxiety and Panic Attacks and Pregnancy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there.

Thanks Liz xx

**********

Liz,

I too suffer from panic attacks and tachycardia. My psychatrist recommended Zoloft as well. Seems it's the least harmful for a developing fetus. She told me that I should only take as much of the medicine to keep me stable and not any more.

I hope you are doing well!!

A couple alternative therapies for treating anxiety disorders are acupuncture and hypnotherapy. I also love yoga! If I feel I need something to help me sleep, I take 5mg of Melatonin (over-the-counter supplement) and it literally puts me in the most restful sleep and I wake up refreshed, not groggy like sleeping pills. I personally tried Paxil and HATED it. Won't go back to drugs because it also doesn't ever treat the cause of the issue. These have been extremely helpful for me...Good Luck!

Liz,

I have been on Efexor-XR (contains venlafaxine) for a long time and was through my first pregnancy. I am 7 weeks pregnant tomorrow and in the past 5 days I have had anxiety so bad that I had to go to a women's hospital two nights ago. I saw the on-call psychiatrist who works solely with women, many of whom are pregnant.

I did not know it but anxiety can increase during pregnancy, especially at the beginning of pregnancy when the Beta HCG hormones are increasing. In week 3 of pregnancy, HCG levels are normally between 5 and 50 units. By week 7, it can range from 7,650-229,000 units. By weeks 11/12 it will range from 25,700-288,000 units.

We are both at a stage where the hormones are increasing and they can mess with depression and anxiety, trust me I know. At the hospital I was given Avanza SolTab (Mirtazapine) which works together with my normal anti-depressant, but with many benefits.

What was also important through this period was that my partner was able to take the last 4 days off from work to look after me and our toddler.

Please, call a hospital and see somebody at a women's hospital who can help. I think it saved my new baby's life, my life and my family.

Hi Liz,

xxJen

hyadroxine is safe my dr it at 8-9 wks

I suffered from the same while pregnant with my second child (having never experienced them before). I was put in Zoloft and it took them away immediately. I am 6 weeks pregnant again 5 years later and just had my first episode of this pregnancy. Zoloft is safe to take, but you will have to get off of it about 2 weeks before you are due so the baby doesn't go through withdrawals.

Hello girls!

I suffer from panic attacks and anxiety and when i have these attacks i also experience this feeling of sadness like i just want to cry? I don't know if this is common? My concern is that I'm trying to get pregnant and I'm taking zoloft 75mg, because my doctor said that is safe for the baby,I'm scared and I really don't know how to deal with this problem if I get pregnant.
Any advice? Thank you so much in advance for your help.!

I am almost 37 weeks right now and started having anxiety and panic attacks after my second child. I decided not to take anything with this pregnancy and deal with it on my own. I chose the path of leaning on God. The bible speaks of anxiety and fear as tools the devil uses to control us. I read my bible when I start getting even the slightest uneasy feeling and most of the time end up smiling and happy about something I read. I still have problems I am fighting the fear of giving birth which I never had before this is my 3rd child, but my best advice is to go in prepared, maybe write down some scripture on anxiety and take in there or keep in your purse. It truely is a blessing in my life. My child is in me based solely on the fact that God wanted her there and it is in his hands. Hope it helped.

How did your pregnancy go? I want a Baby but am having a full blow attack just thinking ab becoming pregnant. Cymbalta is the only drug that's ever calmed my attacks and I'm afraid I can't take that one. Now I feel stuck that I can never have a child bc this feeling isn't compatible with life!

Im 24 Weeks prego I been having anxiety attacks for 2 yrs now when I got pregant I thought it would go away but when I was 13 wks got a,really bad attack I used to take klonopib before I was,pregant now dat im.24 Weeks,got a a anxiety attack 2 times,in one week it sucks what I do is breath in and out calmy think of something beautiful and put ur head,under cols shower it works for me and im.telling u my anxietys are bad but i.pray to God for it to go away in God.name and it does . I was scare to have a baby to but I really want one now,im having a,lil baby girl is,all worth it in da end :) good luck to you and God bless

I am 6 months pregnant,,,,,and have the worst ever,,,,cry 24/7,,,,,cnt asleep or eat,,,,have not gained any weight..overwhelming hot feeling throughout face arms,,,,tingly,,,seeing stars around my head,,,I can't take this no more.

Hi, first of all congrats mom!. I also suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and during my pregnancy i kept taking Zoloft by recommendation of my dr. The result? I have a healthy and happy little girl don't be afraid and listen to your doctors advice. Good like friend!