I’ve experienced in two lasts months at least 4 or 5 strong headaches my sis says it’s called thunderclap headaches. And it really feels like that like thunder stroke that has come sudden from nowhere, it’s such a sharp strong headache and it lasts for hours. I really need some info about these thunderclap headaches what causes them and what’s the thunderclap headache?

I occasionally have this thunderclap headaches and it really is a pain from the hell, the worse pain I’ll ever have I guess. I started having these thunderclap headaches about almost two years ago I went to the doc for I thought that’s it I’ve got some serious brain disease. I’ve passed through a CT head scan and through some other exams such as X-ray but nothing was wrong with my brain it is just my head by itself causing me these thunderclap headaches for no specific reason. At least that’s what I was explained. And as for the treatment there’s no specific thunderclaps headaches treatment, actually there’s not yet a medication that could make them easily go away in fact the drugs may just make them little less painful but that’s something too. But no matter this you should go and check this with your doc for there’re some cases in which such sudden and severe headaches might really be a cause of some more serious medical condition such as: bleeding to the brain, or bleeding between brain’s membranes and so on.

I experienced one thunderclap headache a year and a half ago. It woke me up out of a deep sleep and never went away after that. I went to the doctor, who eventually sent me to get a CT scan, just to be safe. The CT scan revealed that I had a benign colloid cyst in the 3rd ventricle of my brain. It was finally big enough to block some of the fluids in my head--thus the thunderclap headache. I would suggest going to the doctors right away, just to rule this out. I eventually had to have brain surgery to remove the cyst. I didn't mean to scare you, but I wanted to let you know that sometimes thunderclap headaches are a signal that something is wrong in your brain. Best of luck!

I was just at the hospital for this last night & the doctor wanted to do a spinaltap to check the fluid of my spine to make sure there is no bleeding of the brain, however I refused to do so because I am 13 weeks pregnant and just think it's to invasive for me and my baby..

hope you get the answers your looking for... the "thunderclap headache" really does suck... i've had it on and off for 5 days now!

I went to the ER for this last night as well! I have had a sever headache with no relief since Monday. So I finally made myself go to the ER last night. They gave me a CT scan, and spinal tap or "lumbar puncture", both of which came out clear. It was a relief but also disappointing because I still have the headache but no answer as to where it came from and no relief in sight aside from 2 Percoset's every 6 hours! I am still a little uneasy because I am paranoid and keep reading up on them and have read that these types of headaches usually mean that a bleed has either happened or is coming.... with that said, I am going on day 5. Do any of you think that if a bleed were to be the source it would have happened already? Btw, I am 26 and for the most part very healthy. I don't smoke, and I am not pregnant. I have however been having headaches ever since I started a new birth control 2 months ago. I took myself off of it xmas eve because the headaches were driving me nuts...then 3 days later, BAM. This thunderclap headache came out of nowehere. Could it be hormonal???
Thanks