About a week ago, I quit taking the birth control pill Enskyce. I quit because when I've performed on stage since taking the pill, I panic and get physically ill. The first day I was supposed to take the hormone pill after placebo week, I went downtown with my boyfriend. I had an EXTREME panic attack for for no reason, started crying in public and made him take me home. It is completely irrational. Ever since then for this week, whenever I have to go out I get panicky and take 20 mg of beta blockers just to feel okay. That doesn't even kill the anxiety completely. I have to take anti-diarrheal pills when I leave the house too, just in case my anxiety gets that bad. My anxiety now is worse than when I was performing on stage. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this before, and if so, how long did this horrible anxiety last for you? Is there any hope?

Hello anxietygirl,

one thing I didn't quite get from your post is - were you suffering from anxiety and panic attacks before starting the pill? If you haven't, these are very serious side effects that hormones from the pills are producing. To be honest, what you described sounds to me like my worst PMS and that is also caused by messed up hormones.

Since you quit the pill that was continuously giving your body a daily dose of hormones, you are literally now in situation where your body needs to start producing its own hormones so that your ovulation and menstrual cycle can get back on track. Aside from that, you also might get some relief if your physician could prescribe you some mild anxiolytic medication, just until your body re-adjusts.

Wish you all the best,

Nicole

Yes, I did have anxiety before the pill, but never like this. When I had anxiety it always had a serious reason back then, like too much stress. Panic attacks were very rare. I will look into other options if the beta blockers don't help soon. How long will it take for me to get back on track? Thank you very much.

I haven't gotten anxiety from quitting the pill but I've definitely gotten anxiety while ON the pill (in fact, it's one of the many reasons I don't bother with HBC pills; they are evil). You didn't mention how long you were on this pill though? It could take your body anywhere from weeks to months to readjust; there is really no telling bc everybody's individual biology differs. I'd say if you've only been on that bc for say 2-3 months it won't be long but otherwise it could take a few to 6 months.

You can try to toughen it out--which I would do if you don't normally suffer from full on panic attacks--or you might consider starting on an SSRI (antidepressant) such as prozac or lexapro. SSRIs are antidepressants but they also treat anxiety. Keep in mind it takes about a month for SSRIs to kick in but when they do they can often be life changing for people who suffer chronic anxiety. If you normally suffer from the sort of anxiety that keeps you from doing things then it's worth looking into but otherwise steer clear cause it's just going to cause you more imbalances to go on and off all these meds. Who knows? There's a good chance the panic attacks will go away within weeks (could be the first side effect to fade)..

FYI If you're planning on going back on a (different) birth control pill you should do so immediately or at the least at the end of your next period. Don't wait for your body to adjust cause you're just gonna have to make it readjust YET AGAIN when you go back on a new bc (in other words you're not giving your body a break by going on and off bc; it's not good for it).

Also--and this is totally gonna make me sound like one of those extreme internet whack jobs--this is just my opinion (and obviously, we should all have the right to choose blah blah blah) but personally, I think hormonal birth control is poison and refuse to subject my body to it. Doctors are so incredibly pushy about it and they prescribe it like candy but look up what it does to the body; it's shocking how bad it can be for you! It's like a one-size fits all kinda thing but everybody's individual biology differs and this is why women suffer from SO MANY horrible side effects! Take yourself, for instance: your reaction is not even considered extreme; I bet your doctor just shrugged and offered you a different pill when you told them right? And think about it, women aren't told stuff like this could be a side effect and they stay on these pills for DECADES so they don't even realize how it changes them (there are studies that show that it actually alters how you think--not to mention it gives you crazy mood swings and kills your sex drive!). Anyways sorry about the rant! I hope you feel better soon.

Oops! I was on this for about 5 or 6 months. I have been on Lamictal for a year or so for manic depression. It was so in control until birth control. :( My doctor did just shrug it off, offered me a low dose one, and recommended counseling. I am agreeing with you about birth control being poisonous and one size fits all. I will not be taking it again. So it's only been about a week...It looks like I got some time to kill indoors! haha!

I totally agree with you - there is no way that one BC pill can be good for millions of women out there. I'm unipolar - depression & anxiety only, and my doc told me to get off BC pills. I was a complete wreck on my PMS, completely suicidal. Only now I'm on Lamictal and Seroxate to get my mood straightened up, and I take anxyolitics. I guess I have a medicine cabinet like I was 80 years old :)

It's weird why he took you off Lamictal - it really helps, even though I never thought it would. Are you on any antidepressant now?

Oh, I'm still on lamictal! I like it, I felt fine before I put hormones in me. What anxiolytic do you take? I should look into it, especially if it's helped you because we both have depression and anxiety and we both take lamictal. Thank you all for replying! I've learned a lot!

Hi, I'm currently taking clonazepam (Klonopin or Rivotril are brand names), 1/4 of the pill in the morning & afternoon and 1/2 at night. This is much lower dosage than when I was in a complete mess - I had severe anxiety attacks each afternoon like they were scheduled. At that point I was taking 1 whole pill in the afternoon, 2 at night. Before I finally got a good psychiatrist I was on Ativan which did jack s*t, it only made me experience withdrawal for the first time in my life. My good friend who suffers from anxiety attacks alone is taking Xanax, but she is also complaining that she needs larger and larger dose for it to be effective and I think you'd agree - the last thing all three of us need is an addiction. It's too bad that these meds can really help - I can go out normally and do stuff I was scared to death to do - but they are also addictive. That's why having a good doc is so important.

Hi there!
Yes, having a good doctor is essential. I spent years looking for the right doctor and many times felt like it was hopeless, but eventually I found the right one and all I can say is he saved my life in so many ways. As for xanax, it is obviously known for its highly addictive effects, but coming from a recovered xanax addict...it was never about the "high" it was just about trying to feel normal enough to be apart of society, which was sad, but if you take xanax as prescribed and do not abuse it then you are perfectly fine. Xanax is dangerous due to it's fatal withdrawal symptoms, if you ever decide to cold turkey xanax, you can and you will have a seizure, most likely a grand mal seizure and you will not even see it coming, so please take my advice and take xanax as prescribed and if you decide to come off tell the doctor so he can taper your dose. I used to read forums advising me to do the same before I decided to cold turkey and I never listed I thought it could never happen to me, well it did I had a grand mal seizure in a subway station without an signs or symptoms, so please listen to my advice.

As for birth control, something that is rarely acknowledged by women and doctors prescribing birth control is that it decreases your sex drive by almost 75%, if you have been on it your whole life, odds are you don't even realize, but you will start to notice the difference in your hormones especially an increased sex drive, which is good for you it's healthy, sex is apart of human nature and suppressing those types of urges for so many years or for any prolonged period of time will for sure lead to you feeling completely out of your element and suffer from a wide range of different hormonal related complications, but this will pass. I would suggest the Nuva Ring, I know it sounds weird but it actually was awesome, my friends thought I was nuts back in high school, but now they all use it as well. It has a low level of hormones and it does the job to prevent pregnancy.

Best thing you can do is find a good doctor tell them everything you're feeling and make sure the doctor is aware that you have done your homework and that you are not oblivious to what is going on with your body, doctors tend to take advantage of situations like this and blow it out of proportion and prescribe unnecessary medications that ultimately can end up causing you more harm than good. Go to a psychiatrist, not just a general practitioner, a general MD is not trained to handle mental or emotional related issues. Therefore, they will not treat you properly, even if they have the best intentions in mind, this is not their specialty and by law they can be penalized and have their license revoked for not sending you to seek the appropriate help needed with a specialist, a GP is not licensed to prescribe psychiatric drugs and they know this, this includes xanax. I lost a friend to prescriptions medications when i was younger and his general practitioner was prosecuted for prescribing medication and treating him, when he should have been referred to a specialist.

If you need help finding a doctor I can help you, just let me know which state you're looking in. Wish you the best, this too shall pass :)

-A

Oh and as for the increased dosage needed, as you mentioned above, I understand I have been through this and the doctor (psychiatrist) will put you on the right medications to make sure that you're comfortable and he will raise the dose for you if this is the case, just communicate with him/her and they will help you. Don't make the same mistake as me, I tried to do things on my own and it only caused me a great deal of suffering. You'll be okay, just find a good doctor you can trust and as for now drink Chamomile tea with honey, it worked charms when I would have panic attacks.

Hi :) I couldn't have said it better myself, literally birth control is given out like candy and doctors tend to mention the realistic side effects it WILL cause, not the blood clots warning label side effect warnings, but the ones that actually impact just about anyone experimenting with different types of birth control. I mentioned in my response to a post below, that our sex drives is decreased by up to 75% and we don't even realize because majority of us have been on birth control for as long as we can remember.

Sex is a part of human nature and is meant to be enjoyed, not suppressed due to the fear of an unwanted pregnancy. Also, just an FYI to ladies out there---getting pregnant is actually extremely difficult we actually only have a few hour window once a month that an egg can be successfully fertilized, that being said it's okay to use a low hormone level birth control, it is just as effective and the lower the level the less impact it will ultimately have on you.

Drugs are just another business, people trying to make money, we tend to trust our care providers even though they may not be the right doctor for you, hell they might not be a good doctor for anyone (I've had my share of those hah) but yeah you made a great point in your post, it's so true!

-A

Oh, yeah I tried Ativan too. It was addiction city. I'll look into what you're taking. I'm such a mess right now. This whole week I was fine if I was in my house. Now I'm so depressed and anxious when I'm alone in my room or with my family. I get so nauseous. My boyfriend wants to come see me but I'm scared I'll have a panic attack while he's coming and I'll ruin the day. I need help and I'm trying to get it. I'm sitting in my room bawling right now. Remind me to NEVER take birth control again. haha!

I have been reading these posts for the last 9 weeks and they have given me so much hope to know that I am not the only one feeling like this. So rewind...  I started taking beyaz when I was 16 for my acne. It helped tons!! I loved this pill. I gained like 5 pounds but really light periods and my face was clear! Well I am 21 now.... I decided to quit the pill this July because I wanted to rid my body of the chemicals and wanted to be healthier.. Never really gave it a second thought. Just quit cold turkey after 5 years. One month exactly to the day when i quit the pill i had the weirdest feeling of detachment and couldn't breathe...PANIC ATTACK. I have never had a panic before in my life. I have no history of depression or anxiety and never thought about my mental health once in my life. I have always been HAPPY, FUN, DETERMINED, DRIVEN, ECT.... well that changed lmao! Ok so after that I never really felt like myself again. I went to bed that night and thought i would just sleep it off and feel better in the morning! WRONG... IT GOT WORSE. Everything was so foggy and dark. My mind felt clouded and confused.. Nothing felt the same. Everything was all kind of unfamiliar and i was scared of EVERYTHING!!! SOOO disconnected. I couldnt understand what was happening to me because this was more than depression to me... This was like something was seriously wrong with my brain! I couldn't look in the mirror, i didn't feel like a human, and i was constantly worried about my health because i just knew it had to be a brain tumor or schizophrenia or some other life altering sickness because thats how bad i was feeling. I cant even describe how aweful this first month was. I had suddenly no clue who i was.. all my emotions and feelings were gone and i felt like an empty shell. Which is just not normal and nothing i have ever experienced. I called all my friends thinking maybe someone slipped something in my drink at a party. Well this was all happening in my Junior semester of college.. I was in such bad shape my mom had to come stay in my house with me and roomates for that first month. AWEFUL. So i went to a gp the next day and he says "its not bc its anxiety" and im like "i have never had anxiety before in my life??" and he's like i can give you anti depressants i didn't take them because i want to fix this naturally and dont wanna mess up anything else in my body chemistry. So at this point I coudn't even leave the house without breaking down and having an anxiety attack. I felt empty inside and just confused, dark, my mom and people around me looked so weird cause i had the weirdest emotions.. IDK CRAZY STUFF. SOOOOO..... I decided i had to quit school and move home.. (hard decision because i was just starting my student teaching to become a certified teacher). Went to several doctors who thought i was having brain seizures??? So i got that tested and that was not the case! Got all my blood panels checked for thyroid, ect... all things that cause anxiety and everything was normal. All of these doctors are telling me my bc has nothing to do with it so i was very discouraged... I was literally looking up mental institutions because i was that scared lol. Ok so anyways... I decided to go to a Naturopath doc who said that hormones could be the issue so she checked those and i wont get results back for two weeks. In the meantime I have been eating super healthy. NO SUGAR or refined carbs. Taking fish oil, calming herbs, and b vitamins. It has been 9 and half weeks since the first panic attack and i have since not felt the same. HOWEVER! i have felt better! The first two months were definately the worst experience of my entire life. I have good days and bad days now. I find some light throughout parts of the day and other parts i have so much brain fog i cant function! Oh and i also got a MRI which came back clear. Im getting better but SOOOOOOOOOOO SLOOWWWLLYYYY. Like a turtle lol. The last two months has me pretty much googling every symptom of mental illness because im so scared that its something serious. I went to a psychatrist and therapist who say its anxiety but I still get scared its something worse...and some words of advice if your experiencing this STOP GOOGLING that will seriously only make it worse and scare you. I haven't had a period since July which is prob not helping much in this situation. I hear the more periods you have the better you start to feel. IDK these last 9 weeks have been pure HELL. Has anyone experienced anything remotely like this before??? I want to believe its the birth control but sometimes i just doubt that its something way worse. Ill give you a list of my symptoms...

-Anxiety, SEVERE brain fog, CONFUSION, disconnection, lightheaded, scared, nervous, impending doom, euphoria, and just plain paranoid that something else is going on and im gonna die lol, irrational thoughts, and OCD, just DARK!!!!!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hi there Jubrowne - I just got off birth control at the end of September, and I was wondering if you could give an update on how you are feeling now after a few more weeks? I've been off for exactly 10 weeks - and although most of my symptoms seem to be better, I still have this horrible anxiety/depression (sometimes are much worse than others) and this weird pressure/tingling in my head/scalp (I've heard anxiety can cause this).... I just want to know if you are feeling any better? I need to know there is some hope for me! lol :)

Hey girl. I'm sorry your experiencing this awful thing! I have gone through it all. I quit beyaz in July and started to experience symptoms in August. I had panic.. Anxiety.. Depersonalization.. Ocd.. Irrational thoughts.. Racing thoughts.. Weird physical sensations.. And just an overall feeling that I wasn't myself.. Like I was foreign to myself. All of which I have never experienced in my entire life. I was never a person that affected my anxiety but this thing was different. I felt like I was dying or getting a mental disorder all day long for two months. I went to so many doctors! And everyone said I was healthy as a horse. I quit college and everything!!!!! So I will say the first three months were the absolute worst. I'm in the fourth month now and I'm feeling a lot better than I was. I'm definitely not back to normal and don't feel myself completely but atleast I'm leaving my house and going on with my life. Unfortunately I developed a phobia because of all the unexplained anxiety so I've been dealing with that. But im moving on with life and even though I don't feel like myself im just pretending I do until my body heals. You will get better. Time is the biggest healer in this thing. Your just gonna have to keep telling yourself it was the birth control and you won't be in this panic/anxiety state of mind forever. The weird sensations is caused by anxiety. This has honestly been the worst experience of my life and at times I didn't think I was gonna make it out alive or sane and couldnt see the light at the end of the tunnel and now four months late im slowly seeing my old self come back. You need to rest your body.. Eat healthy and take some vitamins. Inistotol is a really good supplement that has helped me tremendously. How long were you on the pill? Did you have anxiety before you got on the pill?