Hi. Recently I have experienced some abnormal sensations, numbness, tingling and weakness in my arms. I also have some anxiety symptoms and wonder could numbness and weakness in arms be related to anxiety? Or is it something else? I`m very worried, any answer will be helpful.

Hi. Yeah, it could be related. I also feel numbness and tingling, only in my legs. My doctor told me that anxiety is the cause of my problem, and so is Vitamin B12 deficiency. Also, a friend told me that anxiety could be the cause of my numbness too. She said that lots of people who suffer from anxiety feel weakness and numbness in their arms or legs. How to fight anxiety? I like warm bath and I always read a book before bed.

Hi

I have been suffering form anxiety attack for a very long time. I saw so my doctors no one could figure out what was wrong with and on my own I went and find the perfect doctor who told me I am a bipolar person.... I was so much under stress and I went and did shoplifting which I am very ashamed of doing.... it is something I don't need....and the police men were very rude at me and they didn't charge but they make me feel so low and i did explained to them that I am bipolar and I don't know why my brain start feeling weird. I need some support please.. I am afraid to go to court... please give some advice....

thank you kindly //////////////////

i used to have BAD anxiety attacks. i thought i was going to die. i was scared all of the time of the next possible attack. but then one day i was reading the bible and in it..it says something about how GOD takes care of the birds, and they just live and always have what they need. so i thought to myself: if GOD is taking care of those birds, and they arent worried cause they always have what they need to survive, then HE is also taking care of me! and then for some reason i stopped BELIEVING in anxiety attacks and panic attacks! since then i have not had one, and that was in 2000.
i believe that the power of belief is all it takes. if you believe you are having stress and anxiety attacks, then you will. and the more you believe in it, the more attacks you are gonna have.

i simply do not believe in anxiety, therefore i do not have a problem with it. it sounds crazy, but it has worked for me.

The reason for the numbness and tingling is that when you get anxious your hearbeat goes faster. You tend to breathe faster or have a feeling like you can't catch your breath. When you start to breathe faster it causes hyperventilation which causes the tingling and numbness. When this happens to you; try to close your eyes and focus on breathing slowly. Try and take slow and deep breaths and/or try breathing into a paperbag.

actually, breathing slowly does help lower your heart rate and help anxiety BUT, u have to do it right...

if u want to relax, concentrate on the EXHALE rather than inhale.. for instance, take in a breath, and then prolong the exhale

if u do the opposite, and prolong in the inhale rather than the exhale, it will INCREASE your anxiety and raise your heart rate...

if u want to to practice correct breathing and learning to relax, please google abdominal breathing..

perscription medications can cause anxiety attacks also if you take to much of them. I was taking Topamax for migrane headaches. I had just had major abdominal sugery.and was in a lot of pain. The doctor on call tripled the dosage of my Topamax saying it would help the pain. A day or two later I started having pain in my arm, chest, and my heart was racing. I thought I was having a heart attack. Doctors explained to me that it was just an anxiety attack. The attacks got worse. I was confused, crying for no reason, my heart would feel like it was going to jump out of my chest. I really thought i was going crazy. Doctors were no help. They just sent me to another doctor, and another, and another,and another. I could not think clearly, but I knew something changed after the surgery and the only thing I could come up with was the Topamax. I quit taking it "cold turkey" and within 2 days I was feeling totally normal and have never had another anxiety attack since. I do however, have a very strong dis-like for doctors now!!

I found 'Byron Katie's The Work' incredibly calming for my panic attacks. Reiki or NLP can help too. Wishing you love and feeling better! X

I totally agree with the statement that a lot of doctors actually are not very patient focus. Sadly, a lot of GPs are after a quick turn around so that they can buy their next investment property. GPs in my experience do not take the time to listen to your concerns and will write it off as a functional problem or in your mind if they cannot pathologically find any evidence for your condition.

After suffering from a bout of chronic prostatitis, I started to worry about my health quite a bit especially after a GP mentioned that I was imagining my symptoms. These symptoms eventually were treated successfully by a physiotherapist. My anxiety symtoms include: tingly sensations in hands and feet, slight weakness in left arm, tightness in upper neck muscles. I was determined to work this out without medication. My only recommendation is not to research the web too much as you will work yourself into a panic as there are nearly symptoms matching every disease. Go seek a doctor who will be willing to partner with you and who will be willing to listen. For most of the useless GPs out there in Melbourne, I reckon we should just drag their names in mud (by telling friends) so they will have lower 10 minute turnovers and return to the quality care they should be providing.

Koostie - You need psychriatic help. We live, we die, we are biological engines, dust to dust, you are deluded. Religion is for the stupid.

For the rest of us, I have had chronic anxiety for years and paroxetine has sorted it out at 20mg a day on and off for years through bad relationships - yes, I'm a soft bloke who believes love conquers all. Women don't give a fook though and look after their own arses.

BBoy - Yes, reducing oxygen intake helps but doesn't get rid of the impending doom feeling, and the feeling you are having a heart attack overtakes all. It's a vicious circle. You're very lucky if you can see it coming and can prevent it! It isn't oxygen that causes it though, it's the seratonin hormone levels in the brain going haywire (apparently).

For when it can't be helped, I was prescribed Diazepam at 5mg soluble under the tongue, so if I happened to be in a queue and felt the world was crashing down, it lifted it me back up and out of it within 8 minutes.

People who don't know anxiety attacks will think it's mega-extreme to freak out while at a cashpoint but you have to experience it to know.

Now you now what to ask your doc for.

Guest,

Your reply to Kootsie is completely unhelpful. As anyone knows who suffers with anxiety and panic, WHATEVER works should be used. Since it is our mind playing tricks on us, perhaps it is eminently sensible to trick it back and just blow it off. In fact, that has been some of my best success dealing with it — to not give it the time of day and keep going. And mine started after an actual stroke, so I have a real fear to base it on, but the docs say it is just anxiety now, so I move on.

Encourage people in what works, and quite being some an atheistic downer.

Rod

I would like to add to the first guest as well, in that your reply to Kootsie was absurd and rude. Kootsie was simply providing a short personal testimony - on how she got rid of her anxieties - that others could find useful. There are people of different beliefs who have the same health problems, so you dont need to bash on a person who was providing feedback on their problem just because you have a contrary way of getting rid of anxities. Whether or not a person has faith or a belief, you should keep the posts friendly and be open to all perspectives in a mature way.

Jia Wei Xiao Yao Wan - the best chinise medicine for stress - i had weak hands for ages and it really bought me done but then my friend gave me this and it went after two hourse - truly amazing - and its all natural!

after reading kootsie's comment i just realized how true the old saying is, "ignorance is bliss".

To kootsie- you're advice is extremely harmful to people with anxiety. Go get an education before you give advice on such a serious matter. Anxiety is not something that one "believes" in. Anxiety is something that one could choose to acknowledge. Also, the misinformation in this thread makes me sick. "Anxiety attacks are caused by serotonin hormones going haywire". First of all, serotonin is a neurotransmitter not a hormone. Second of all, there are many ways to approach treatment. Medicine is not the only way, there is a great model for understanding panic attacks called the classical conditioning model that has more to do with learned associations rather than biochemical abnormalities. If you feel like you may suffer from anxiety, please go see a professional. Personal anecdotes, like kootsies, cannot be applied to the general population. A trained professional will give you advice that is based on theory, not based on intuition or personal experience.