I keep hearing buzzing and ringing noise and sometimes I can't sleep whole night. It is horrible! I am very anxious when buzzing starts. My doctor thinks it is tinnitus and he gave me some nasal spray, but I've not had any reduction in my tinnitus. I am listening music loudly, so I might damage my hearing. Also I was wondering are anxiety and tinnitus related.

You can get anxious but if you listen to the buzzing and get anxious, it will make sound worse. The ring will calm down no matter what you do and if yours tinnitus is caused by music, the sound will increase to the max about a week or two and then it will start to decrease. I know mine was like that … It is just how it tries to heal. Mine went from 5db to 40-50db with anxiety to 20db to 10db to 5db to 0db and 20db to 5db now.

Hi

Ive had Tinnitus for 22 years now and you can
definately get anxious with it.

gill

Well that is very interesting, i never thought about a tinnitus and anxiety connection. But I have Generalized anxiety disorder and I have tinnitus too. I wonder if there is a connection

I just read some of the posts on anxiety & came across the ones asking if tinnitus was related to anxiety. I found this very interesting because I too suffer from generalized anxiety disorder & tinnitus. & when I think of it, I had my first panic attack 3 years ago & the tinnitus started not long after that. So maybe the two are related?! I was convinced that the ringing in my ears was a brain tumour until I finally had the courage to have a scan....which came back normal. I think anxiety disorder has so many different symptoms for everyone & thats why we all think we are dying! At the moment i worry about having either MS or bone cancer because my back gets sore & feels 'funny' & my legs feel weak. Help! I'm scared!

I suspect there is a lot of truth to that. I found a site by a former Tinnitus suffer (a pshychiatrist) who basically cured himself. I hope this info helps the folks who suffer with really bad tinnitus ... find what works for you. I'm trying to do the same thing.

http://www.kevinhogan.com/FAQ.htm

Some Key excerpts:

"What was the most important part of your healing process?

Support from my wife was very important. Xanax, Zoloft and Osteopathy. It was probably Ginkgo that got rid of one pulsatile sound, self hypnosis eventually took the place of sleeping pills and helped the habituation process...and frankly, was far more successful than I thought possible. If I had to pick one aside from support and lifestyle changes, it would be Xanax... but all were very important. People who "try" only one or two with little more than guesswork to go on rarely get well. "

"Read this FAQ. See your doctor ask her for help. Ask your doctor to visit this page. I work with a lot of physicians, internists, audiologists, ENT's, even nurse practitioners, and other great people. If they (or anyone) give you the cold shoulder, go to another doctor who will do everything in her power to help you. No one but you is inside of your head. Therapists, doctors, whoever...no one knows what severe tinnitus is like until they have had it. So for the most part, ...sorry to say...they will possibly give you marginal advice....

Ask them to help you and YOU take control of your therapeutic tasking and future. It's your life and believe me, if they haven't experienced this...they have NO CLUE what it is like to be in YOUR HEAD."

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one out there that believes there is a connection between tinnitus and anxiety. I got tinnitus (I believe from taking accutane) and two years later experienced my first panic/anxiety attack. Since the first attack they have occurred more often and are beginning to interfere with my social activities. I don't have any history of anxiety in my family. Please continue to post any remedies.

I had a relapse in severe GAD/Panic disorder about 7 months ago. I decided to see a doctor about it this time around. He gave me Zoloft. After a week of taking it my ears began ringing. When he took me off of it the ringing went away for a few weeks then came back. Ive been taking Xanax and Ambien to sleep and get through the work day without walking out. I dont have any known cases of GAD or Tinnitus in my family either. My therapist said she thinks it is genetic though. Every doctor from Primary care physicians, ENTs, Audiologists to Psychiatrists have different opinions on the matter.

David

Anxiety can cause ANYTHING, as all of my doctors have told me over the 6+ years I've been suffering from GAD and Panic. During my first attack, I got a serious sinusitis flare up, ringing, muscle pains all over my body, serious chest tightness, palpitations, heartburn and dizziness. I thought I was dying, but it turned out to be nothing more than my emotions causing my body to go out of whack. None of this is dangerous, but it is definitely scary. That fear actually solidifies the anxiety's hold on your body by pumping more fight-or-flight adrenaline, and putting your brain deeper into a fear routine - which causes your body to experience more weird sensations due to the fear and anxiety, which causes you to become frightened of a new disease, which causes more fear and anxiety ... it's the definition of a vicious circle.

My sense is that anxiety causes symptoms wherever your body is weak. I have allergies and frequent sinus infections - so I get worse sinus headaches, ringing, and sore throats from anxiety. I've always had digestive issues - so I get nausea, heartburn and diarrhea when my anxiety gets bad. Stress just exacerbates your natural weaknesses, which we all have, and makes them feel worse. Combined with the fear habit, it can be really difficult to break out of the cycle.

It is likely that if you treat your anxiety, the tinnitus will go away. Try a tranquilizer (xanax, ativan) and see if it affects things. If it does, you know what it's from. If not, it may still be from anxiety, but it could take a while to go away, especially if you've had anxiety for a while and your body is trapped in that wheel of symptoms. In that case, you might want to try long-term treatment options for anxiety - cognitive/behavioral therapy, SSRIs, acupuncture, vitamins and supplements, exercise.

The worst thing you can do is ignore your anxiety - it will definitely get worse if you don't do SOMETHING. It is also very hard to overcome alone - you need support, both professional and personal. Perhaps the most important thing is to reduce the amount of conflict and stress in your life, both through proactive steps and adopting a more accepting attitude. Anxiety sufferers are famous for constant negative judgments. This makes everything worse, sapping your energy and hope and possibly leading to depression on top of everything else. Trust me on this - if I had taken real steps to deal w/my anxiety when it first appeared, instead of trying to ignore it for two years, it would never have developed the hold it did on my system. I believe you can overcome it at any time, but the longer you wait, the harder it will be. Best of luck to everyone here!

Hi, I agree with posted 12/21/09 16:28

I have so many anxiety symptoms and my life has been miserable almost unbearable. I am trying to do all the right things now. First get medical checkups and facts and rule any disease out. then do Yoga, eat right, stress less, warm bath, etc.
I just want my life back, but I realize it's going to be a process. There's no pill that will magically make everything alright or back to normal me again. It is frustrating when i'm constantly hearing buzzing noise, I can't sleep, my body tinigles and shivers inside, twitching, urge to urinate every hour, headache, dizzyness, feel disoriented, hard to focus, out of balance/out of body experience. Like i have to make an effort to be alive/present or something.

I know I'm not alone and that is comforting because I get so scared sometimes. Like I'm never going to get better, but I know I am strong and I will do everything in my power to make myself whole again. I wish everyone the same. It's hard but it's going to be worth it.
:-)

Bless you, madisonpark7 - you sound like you're really struggling. But you're quite right in knowing you aren't alone. I have and have had all you mention and it can be debilitating. But it's like a mountain range - sometimes I'm struggling up and I'm not sure I can take it any more, then it goes over the top and it gets easier and you walk through a sunny plateau for a while, then up a bit, then down a bit etc etc. Certain things in life cause it to go worse (my cat just died so I'm on an uphill climb right now) but I know from experience that I'll emerge over the summit again soon.
I find comfort in my faith - maybe you could find something that keeps you going through the tough times too.
Also - have you had a sleep study? I had one and they found I had a sleep disorder, which I have medication for now. It does help.
Hugs to you x

Guest wrote:

I can confirm that my tinnitus is also anxiety related. I am a very anxious person. About 10 years ago I had a very stressful situation and not long after that the tinnitus started.... It's a vicious cycle, anxiety aggravates tinnitus and then tinnitus in its turn aggravates anxiety... I learned to relax and to ignore the tinnitus with time... Now it's still there but also not there - if you know what I mean... I got so used to it that I don't notice it anymore, only when I really pay attention to it on purpose... I think most tinnitus sufferers will have to be patient because no matter what you do, there will come a time when either it will go away or most frequently you will not notice it anymore, either way it's a relief.

I too have anxiety and recently started suffering tinnitus.. I'm abit of a hypochondriac I've already diagnosed myself with a tumour.. It's 5am and I'm still awake from the sound.. This has robbed my silence I want silenceeeee :(

This anxiety and then tinnitus theory makes sense. A few years ago I made a life changing decision which I sort of knew was wrong but proceeded. Not long after that the tinnitus started. I also feels panicked a lot of times, do not feel like going out or driving somewhere. Someone told me that studies some sort of alternative medicines - "the cause of tinnitus is because one does not listen to your innerself". Become clearer to me now after years of thinking wtf!

I've had General Anxiety for most of my adult life. I got tinnitus about 7 months ago - when I was 44. Sometimes it gets louder and louder, then sometimes goes down to a level that I can at least deal with.
Anybody know if alcohol withdrawal can increase the severity of tinnitus?