I'm 21 and have been diagnosed with thyroid cancer. I am supposed to have a total thyroidectomy in the next few weeks. I am terrified. I hate needles and am afraid of all the side affects. Will there be alot of weight gain, will I go through depression, and is hair loss a common side effect? Also, did anyone have to do the radioactive iodine afterwards? Can someone enlighteb me a little about that. Please help ease my tension? Thanks in advance.

Papillary Ca is the least agressive of all and the best prognosis.When r u going in for thyroidectomy?what was the size of the tumor?Are ur thyroid function tests normal?
Since u will have all of ur thyroid gland removed,u will be started on thyroxine immed after ur surgery..ur function will get depressed for a while..and u may experience some symptoms..but younger people do better generally..so dont worry too much.Ur hormone will level itself out and u will be normal soon.Choose a good surgeon and endocrinologist.
After about a month after ur surgery,they will do an uptake scan to see if u have any bits of recurring CA left over..and if u do,they will destroy it with radio active iodine RX.There r not any serious side effects of radio active iodine,but u must not get pregnant for upto 1 year after that.If ut uptake is normal,u wont need radio active iodine.Again it also depends on how large or small ur tumor size is!Good luck!

I just had my total thyroidectomy on Monday. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I was discharged from the hospital after a day, and was able to talk and walk around. Am I supposed to do anything special to take care of my incision? I wasn't put on any medications except pain killers. Not even antibiotics. Also, my chest hurts when I breathe deep. Is there anything I can do to help ease the pain? Thanks!!!

I know it's been a while since you had your thyroid removed, I'm going in to have mine removed in a few hours. I'm 21 as well and I was wondering what was the worst part about the whole experience? Is the scar really bad? Or hardly noticable? Any help would be great. Thanks!

I had my surgery in 95 - you can barely see my scar. Put vitamin E on it to help it heal faster. I bought those scar moisturizers but they made me break out in a rash. On medicine now. Just can't seem to lose weight even though I walk 4 miles everyday and diet.

I had TT on Dec 27, 06 and then radioactive iodine on Jan 26, 07. The truth is the TT wasn't as bad as you think. I have always been afraid of needles, my father is a doctor and whenever he comes home with a vaccine for us I would cry so loud that our neighbors thought he was abusing me :$ You don't feel anything during the TT (of course) and the post-op isn't too bad. I didn't even ask for any pain meds. However, the period between the surgery and the radioactive iodine was really bad because I couldn't start my meds yet (to allow maximum uptake of iodine). The hypo makes me really tired and cold all the time. I couldn't walk for 5-min and had to rest in the middle of teeth brushing just to rest my arm. However, when the meds start to work (takes me about 5 days to not have to rest my arm between teeth brushing), you will feel much better. I started my meds like 2 weeks ago and now I am feeling much better. So hang in there! :-P

I have had papilliary cancer of the thyroid and had a total thyroidectomy with neck disection (removal of all lymph glands in my neck) in September 2004, then Radioactive Iodine in December 2005, the cancer re-occurred in May 2005, when another neck lump appeared, (one the surgeon missed) I have now been fine for well over a year, I take my meds every morning and lead a perfectly normal life, I have also just had another baby, so there is life after cancer and radioactive treatment. Best wishes to all who go through this, reading these posts show me it is more common than we realise.

Like the above said, the TT is a piece of cake. Not really, but it's about as bad as getting your wisdom teeth out. My scar isn't noticeable at all. My dr. put some kind of steroid w/a needle (ouch) in the scar. But hey, it worked.
I had a TT in Sept 2001 and RAI in Oct 2001. That's the worst part of the whole cancer thing. I've had another baby last year and have been diagnosed w/papillary ca again. I'm scheduled to have a neck dissection on Jan 25th.
I hope all goes well w/your surgery and RAI.

I am 19 and had a total thyroidectomy on feb 1st 08. I also had papillary thyroid cancer. My tumor was 4x3x2 mm. My scar is healing nicely and is only about an inch in length. It's right at my shirt line so it's a bit annoying when it rubs on the scar. I too have to recieve radioactive iodine the first week of march, but in the meantime they didn't give me any hormone replacement because they say that my TSH levels have to get high enough for it to be effective. The first week after your surgery will be the worst. Stay home, relax and before you know it you will be on your way back to normalcy. Hope all goes well!

hi,,last year my nodule was operated(NON TOXIC NODULES) but due to my busy sched i wasnt able to get my biopsy after that i was just able to get it these year and the result shown was that the nodule was already papillary carcinoma, i consulted my oncologist and he told me to seek for an advise of my endocrinology and ahe also said that my thyroid should be removed, my worries is that , could it be dangerous that it took a year before i got my biopsy result, and ive been drinking a lot of alcohol since then, it makes me feel nervous, and also isnt it dangerous because im tryng to conceive a baby now.would it be a hindrance for getting pregnant?i was also diagnosed of having endometriosis,,,,need help please...