I have a friend that had his thyroid removed but was not put on thyroxin or any other kind of thryroid medicin for a little over four weeks. It was just over-locked by both his doctors. His ENT told him that he is lucky to be alive after going that long with out any medication. I am wondering if there will be any long term effects from this delay.

I am also looking for answer to this question

Hi there! I understand your concern, but there's nothing you should be worried about. I had a thyroid cancer and I didn’t have any symptoms at all. I had my thyroid gland totally removed six years ago. I've been through the radioactive iodine therapy twice. Now I feel great and I'm completely healed! I'm taking levothyroxine natrium (synthetic thyroxine, a thyroid hormone replacement drug) and it's going to last for the rest of my life. I live normally with that, I have no other health related problems because of that. Trust me he doesn't want to be any longer without his therapy. I was without my therapy (and without my thyroid gland) for almost three months after my operation and it felt like I was a plant and not a human, but there was no consequences whatsoever. I hope this will help you.