My  huabsnd has an awful amount  of thick mucus  since his surgery on Friday. He  had a 2 level anterior cervical spine  disectomy and fusion. He also has a spinal cord  injury causing  numbness of his right side. We were in a terrible  car accisdent on Jan. 15th. .He had the operation to releave some of the pain, but the  paraylisis will not  get  better. It's  a  real shame, he can't work full time , and now  he can't  play  his guitar in his band. Of course our way of living  has changed since he only  brings  home half his pay, and he doesn't have any insurance coverage. His surgery  is covered under the car accident.  If  could  have been much worse... I have been turned down for my  CAT  Scans.. but I need to appeal that. I just  need to knwo how to help my husband do away with this  masssive, thick gobs of mucus. I gave him some cough medicines  that has codeine, but that doesn't touch it. I have forced water and juices down him , along with iced teas.. I'm off to bed, but will check back frequently t6o see if anyone has ideas for us.  Thanks in advance...

Does your husband smoke?  Has he applied for temporary disability?  I would suggest asking the doctor about an Prescription strength decongestant as well as checking to make sure there is no infection.  Is he having difficulty breathing?  Please give me more details so I can offer some advice.

I had a 2 level procedure 18 days ago and am also dealing with the heavy mucus in my throat, which is driving me crazy. I still have terrible larangitis asl well. Vargsmom, how long did it last for your husband and any suggestions??? thanks

I'm having this too! No laryngitis but soooo much mucus in my nose and throat.

Me too!  My neck isn't fused, but I had two disc replacements with these tiny titanium discs that swivel which allwo your neck to move.  I have very little pain, other than my arm, must be the position they put you in.  Mine was 2 level C4/5 C5/6.  Ist night while in hospitla coughed all night, second night they had to use a nebuliser. They put me on antibiotics in cae I had a chest infection, but my lugs were clear.  I am STILL getting a large amout of mucus, especially at night, I too have laryngitis and difficult swallowing solid foods, but that is starting to resolve itself. I am wondering if it is from sinus?  I went privately, my GP surgery doesn't follow up for the surgeon unless they charge £100 for the GP, £25 for a script and £25 to change a dressing or do a wound check!  I found this outrageous considering the GP told me it was ok for my back to be numb! This went on for a year after a bicycle accident.  I am going to see a private Doctor about the mucus and will ask my Surgeon when I see him next week.  

Judith Lowe 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I have had the same problem since acdf surgery also, I'm not a smoker, decongestants don't work, I have had an xray of my lungs, my Dr said I had some infection in my lungs, gave me inhaler & steroids, helped for a couple of days, but the mucous came right back , it is affiliated with this type of surgery, but the dr don't understand why or where it's comming from, this is a common complaint , but tell him to keep his head up & wish you all the best, my surgery has been 10 weeks agoFACE

I am more than a year out of my surgery and probably at the end of testing with the ENT. Already had a pulmonary function test and that shows that my lungs are ok even though I am a smoker. Seeing that you have been dealing with this for 10 years is discouraging but sounding realistic at this point. I have had a test where I had to blow in bags before and after drinking some solution and that test for infection which came back clear, had a swallow test done and cleared on that, The ENT went into the sinus with a scope and didn't find anything, had a CT scan on nasal cavity and will get the results in two days. He also had me take 20 days of an antibiotic just to be safe. He wanted to refer me to another DR. to have a EGT to stretch my throat. I did refuse that because I don't feel that it will serve a purpose when all the mucous is coming from the nasal cavity. Stretch my throat so it slides down easier? Nope after it hits the gag reflex I spit it out. I honestly can't believe we have to have a discussion about this and how many people are dealing with this issue. I guess that I am super frustrated because I have this issue and the surgery did nothing but make the Dr. some money. I am actually in worse shape than I was in, plus another issue to go with it. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that I would have something available at all times to spit in, and if it is so common they should inform us before doing this surgery so that we can make an informed decision. Ugh, I have learned from this. Don't jump right in without doing my own research before allowing a surgeon to do anything.

I had 3 cervical fusionC4-C7 about 2 weeks ago. I get large dark green mucas every morning. I will be contacting the doctor this week. It tastes like an infection. Food is tough going down.

I guess I'm fairly new. I had a 3 level d & f 8 days ago. I'm still coughing up phlem, throat is still very sore that it hurts to even swallow water. I was living on ice chips and ice cream because it was cold and it just slid down my throat. Well, started doing research on my own and discovered that milk products increases the production of phlem and mucus. They didn't tell me this while I was in the hospital. I stopped the ice cream aND phem has gotten a ltitle less. .

Hi Judith, I recently had c5 c6 fusion surgery since my herniated disc was touching my spine. I had ear popping after 2 weeks of surgery then the post nasal drip and throat clearing. Saw my ent and said it could be sinusitis. I see my surgeon this week to see if it’s from surgery. There must be a solution. How have you’ve been feeling? Any better?

I am 67 and just had my surgery on October 26th,2018...Glad it's over,sore throat of course,but could not sleep because of heavy mucus in the throat After reading some of the after affects,that seems to be one of them..I have temporary neck brace on for added security..

I had my neck surgery 2 years ago. I have had bad mucus build up since day one and still having this issue. It feels like it’s attaching to the plate the put between my C5-8