I am interested in only one topic: Peripheral Neuropathy - drugs used for that condition. My mother, 56 years old has been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy and I would like to know what would be the best treatment and best medicaments for that illness. I have already lost one parent due to a car accident last year; I do not want to lose the other.

There are many forms of peripheral neuropathy and you have not mentioned which type she is suffering from. If she is feeling pain, she may need to use painkiller medications to control nerve hyper sensitivity. Drugs usually used to treat these conditions (and the best ones at the same time) are Anticonvulsants and Tricyclic antidepressants.

try a newer drug called Lyrica

vida wrote:

I have suspected that I have had neuropathy even though I was not diagnosed. One Dr. put me on Effexor and it helped greatly. I have had it for about 4 years. About 2 years before I began to have symptoms, my legs from the half way from knees down would turn very read and itch. I questioned my regular Doctor and he had nothing to say. I thought it was vericose veins.
Finally I went to a neuropathist who finally diagosed me as really having neuropathy. He suggested that I try a form of folic acid that you can buy in the health food store. The other alternative was Topamax. He believes that the Folic acid when taken as the doctor prescribes is really more helpful than the topomax. He did say that Topamax has a few side effects and one good one is weight loss.
I will try the Folic acid that he has subscribed and see if it works. He says that it begins to work sooner than Topamax. I can keep taking the Effexor along with it. I will let you know if it helps. You are free to Email me if you like. Hope this helps. By the way I am 80 years old and will be 81 this month. I am in very good health except for neuropathy and over weight I do not have diabetes.