I know oophoritis is inflammation of the ovary, and uncommonly used term for pelvic inflammatory disease. I also know this is an ascending infection of the ovaries and a major cause of female problems. I have heard for many cases of infectious morbidity, ectopic pregnancy, and sterilization because of oophoritis. I understand this is serious condition so I would like to hear something about it. I am the most interested into possible treatment for oophoritis, so I would appreciate if there is someone who might tell me more about it.

Oophoritis is a clinically diagnosed disease that must be carefully distinguished from other causes of abdominal pain that commonly occurs. Problem with oophoritis is that infection ascends from bacterial colonization of the cervix and extends to the uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries. Gonorrhea and Chlamydia species, common sexually transmitted diseases, are typically colonized from the cervix in cases of oophoritis. However, these pathogens are rarely isolated in ovarian tissue, but these organisms instead facilitate infection of the adnexa by other bacteria. Outpatient treatment of oophoritis is appropriate for patients who are hemodynamically stable and sufficiently reliable to return for follow-up care. This could be applied to patients, which are immunocompetent, not pregnant, or intolerant of oral medication because of nausea and vomiting. Inpatient treatment is required for patients who have already failed outpatient treatment, to patients who are pregnant, or infected with HIV. Surgical care for oophoritis may be managed with surgery when medical treatment fails to ameliorate symptoms after 48-72 hours. Surgical options may include laparoscopy with drainage of the abscess, removal of adnexa, or total abdominal hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy, which are the most common treatment options for oophoritis.