hi, I'm 31 years old and I have a fertility problem. My husband and I have been trying to have a baby ever since we got married 5 years ago but without success. Recently we went to a fertility counseling and they referred us to the fertility clinic. After many tests and examinations they have established that the reason why we can't have a child is my abnormal uterus. I have an uterine abnormality called the separate uterus. Can you give me some more information about that abnormality and its treatment? Thank you.

There are many abnormalities of the uterus that can cause the woman to be infertile. The separate uterus is one of the most common uterine abnormalities and the most common reason for infertility. As the name itself says, the uterus in women who have such an anomaly is divided in two by a membrane, usually the membrane starts at the bottom of the uterus (fundus) and it can even reach the cervix. The baby cannot be conceived because it has nowhere to implantate, or when zygote does implantate, it doesn’t have enough space to grow so the lack of space eventually leads to spontaneous abortion. The solution is to surgically remove the wall dividing the uterus (also called septum). After the surgical removal almost 80 % of patients are able to have a normal pregnancy and give birth to a normal child. There are few options about how to perform the surgery, for further details you should talk to your general practitioner or your gynecologist.