Greetings. My name is Max. I have one daughter and she is 27 years old now. She got really sick at my birthday party a few days ago. The good thing is that my sister is a doctor and she reacted really quick. She called her friends from ER and they took her to the hospital. Nothing good...She has infective endocarditis. Now, we will do anything to treat her from this disease. But I don't know which treatment is the best for her. She never was sick before, she never had any serious health problems. Tell me more about the treatment. 

Hello MadMax. I am sorry to hear this. I will try to help you but first you need to understand what are the major goals of therapy for infective endocarditis. Well, the main goals are to eradicate the infectious agent from the thrombus and to address the complications of valvular infection. The treatment later will include both - the intracardiac and extracardiac consequences of infective endocarditis. Some of the effects of IE require fast surgical intervention. That all depends on how difficult the condition of the patient is and what doctors will recommend you to do.

I hope that everything will be ok. 

Hello there. Initial therapy is one of the options that your doctor can offer you and it is pretty good options. Initial management is aimed to control your airway, breathing and your circulation. It is vital to obtain blood cultures prior to the initiation of antimicrobial therapy, as one dose often masks an underlying bacteraemia and delays appropriate therapy.  In this case patients should undergo urgent echocardiography to determine the nature and extent of valvular lesions.  But remember that you always need to consult your doctor about some steps of the treatment. He is the only one who can help you in this.

Hey there. Successful treatment usually requires appropriate and good antibiotic therapy. I was using vancomycin or ampicillin plus to treat infective endocarditis. Your doctor will set the proper treatment for you. The choice of the best and of definitive antibiotic therapy is usually based on the causative microorganism and its antibiotic susceptibility. I can tell you from my own experience – after every pill, after every therapy I was feeling good. I was fine and I didn’t have any problems. I can tell you that I was always consulting my doctor and he was always there for me. I think that the communication with doctor is a clue for healthy life.

Howdy!

Hope that you are doing OK. I depends how you feel, it depends on your current condition. For acutely ill patients with signs and symptoms doctors will strongly recommend suggestive of IE, the best is empiric therapy. Usually, this therapy bay be necessary. But you need to know that empiric therapy should be administered only after two last sets of your blood culture. But I am sure that your doctor will tell you more about this. On the other hand, if you don’t feel bad or if you don’t have any symptoms, your doctor will probably prescribe some medications.