I have a friend who told me she has great problems with herpes whitlow. I have never heard for something like that. I do not know what to ask, since I do not know anything, I was thinking herpes could occur on lip only. That is why I would appreciate any info about herpes whitlow. Is it caused with the same virus as any other herpes?

Patients with other herpetic lesions, such as herpes labialis, herpetic gingivostomatitis, or genital herpes, are at risk for herpes or herpetic whitlow. Herpetic whitlow is a self-limited disease, caused by herpes simplex virus HPV 1 or HPV 2. Treatment most often is directed toward symptomatic relief, differently from person to person. In primary infections, topical acyclovir 5% has been demonstrated to shorten the duration of symptoms. We found out that oral acyclovir may prevent recurrence, which is definitely goal we want to acheive. Doses of 800 mg twice daily initiated during the prodrome might prevent recurrence. Until now, it was reported usage of antibiotic treatment only in cases complicated by bacterial super-infection. Tense vesicles may be unroofed to help ameliorate symptoms, and wedge resection of the fingernail may be used for the same purpose. Deep surgical incision is contraindicated, since this may lead to delayed resolution, bacterial super-infection or systemic spread. Serious complication that could happen after surgical incision is for example herpes encephalitis.