I am on a vacation with my husband and the kids. We came to a mountain few days ago. My husband was coughing and we thought that fresh air will help him. But his symptoms become serious and we went to a doctor. He is diagnosed with tuberculosis. He must go to a hospital to a treatment. Tell me something about it. Should he go in the hospital here or to go home in our hospital?

First about the drugs. There are five major drugs considered the first-line agents for the treatment of tuberculosis: isoniazid, rifampin, pyranizamide, ethambutol, and streptomycin. The first four which are usually given orally, are well absorbed. There are two regiments, the initial phase and sterilizing phase. During the initial phase the majority of the tubercle bacilli are killed, symptoms resolve and the patient becomes noninfectious. The sterilizing phase is required to eliminate semidormant "persisters". Only his doctor can tell you about the location where he can receive treatment.