Hello! Can you tell me something about drug resistant tuberculosis? My husband was diagnosed with tuberculosis 4 months ago and was prescribed first- line anti-TB drug but with no treatment results for he is actually now diagnosed also with drug resistant tuberculosis. So what is the next step and is there any other drug treatment? Thanks much!

Hi! I know that being diagnosed with drug resistant tuberculosis is not a joke for the prognosis are never good for it actually means your husband’s organism fails to react on TB first-line drug treatment but there is another option also –meaning there is also second-line TB treatment that includes taking INH-isoniazid or RIF-rifampin. They are usually to be taken up to 9 months and you could only hope he is not multi drug resistant tuberculosis for if so he is also resistant than on these second-line drug therapy and than the prognosis are not good at all-for it practically means there is no cure left for him.