I’m looking for some advice regarding the treatment for my mom. She’s 73 and in nursing home, and they called us yesterday to come over, to let us know she’s been diagnosed with MAC or Mycobacterium avium infection which is causing her lungs to deteriorate. She’s in the nursing home for Alzheimer’s and is on medication that already causes her stomach problems, and even the pulmonologist himself said it would require very strong three antibiotics combination to kill this bacteria.

We talk and mom will start the biaxin, rifampin and ethambutol treatment, I realize that there is no other way to get rid of the bacteria. However, I was wandering are there any alternative treatments for MAC that might work to help strengthen mom’s immune system so that she can at least go through the antibiotic treatment fully (it lasts 6 months, and she already had stomach ulcer rupture)?