I have been diagnosed with tuberculosis few weeks ago. My doctor seemed to be surprised with this diagnosis, because he knows me for many years. Anyway, he prescribed me Rimactane, as the best medicine to treat that condition. He looked, as there is something wrong with this, so I want to know more about this drug. Is it usually prescribed to treat tuberculosis, or Rimactane works for more diseases?

Rimactane is an antibiotic, which is most frequently used to treat tuberculosis. This medicine targets and inactivates a bacterial chemical called RNA-polymerase. The tuberculosis bacteria use RNA-polymerase to make essential proteins and to copy their own genes. Without this chemical, the bacteria cannot reproduce and they die, which is great work for Rimactane. There are two stages in the treatment for tuberculosis. In the first two months after infection, called the initial phase, treatment is aimed at killing as many bacteria as possible. After this, some of the medications are stopped and the others are continued for a further four months. This is called continuation phase, and aim is to kill any remaining bacteria. Rimactane is used in both stages of treatment, which is why this medicine is great to treat tuberculosis. Beside tuberculosis, Rimactane can also be used to treat infections such as brucellosis, leporosy, legionnaire's disease and serious staphylococcal infections.