I Was on the depo shot for a year and a half befor july of 06 i decided not to get my shot. I was supposed to have my shot on on october 3rd of 06. My period returned in december and has been pretty regular since then. My husband and i have been trying to conceive but no luck. I just would like to know how long it normally takes considering my period returned so quickly and if there is anything i can do to increase our chances of conceiving soon? This was much easier with my daughter seeing as i was on the pill and she wasnt planned. Hope you can help. Thank You.

Nikki- I too was on the shot. 3yrs for me. My last shot wore off in June 07' and my husband and I wanted to have a baby. It's now March 08' and I'm still not pregnant! I think it might have been easier if I didn't announce to everyone that we were trying, because now we get asked every couple of weeks if we're prego yet LOL. Normally it takes 6mo to a YEAR for a woman to conieve after being on Depo. So you still have some waiting to do, but don't stop trying. You can track when you're ovulating since you have a period so soon and go off that and or lift your pevis after intercourse to help the swimmers along. Good Luck to you!! Don't give up hope, I'm not. :-)

The first time I went off the shot, I had been on it about 3.5 years and got pregnant within 4 months. I took the shots after my son was born (from 1996 through early 2005), but wasn't ttc until this past September.

Recently I have gone through a large cyst removal and bloodwork that shows my progesterone levels are very low (3 when they should have been over 10). Although I've not found definitive proof yet, I am sure its a result of the Depo.

Depo releases synthetic progesterone to fool your body into thinking its pregnant. My feeling is that somehow, three years later, my body still hasn't learned how to do it on its own.

I've heard stories back and forth on this, and usually they say it can take up to 18 months before getting pregnant after Depo, but who knows? Do a Google search on Depo and you'll see plenty of nightmares.

Don't give up, and keep trying. And, most important of all, make sure you have a doctor who is willing to really listen to you and your concerns!! Ask him or her if you are worried to do a CD21 test on you (blood work at cycle day 21). It will check your thyroid, progesterone, and prolactin levels to see if you are really Oing or not and, if so, if your levels are high enough to produce and sustain a pregnancy.

Its not impossible, so please don't give up hope! But it definitely looks like the longer you were on Depo the longer it takes to conceive.