hi. i'm 21. was on the depo injection for almost 2 years. last injection was in october '05, 17 months ago. no signs of peroid coming back at all. am very worried that i've ruined my chances of conceiving. i've researched this topic extensively and understand that it can take up to two years for fertility to return, but in extreeeeeeeeemly rare cases not at all. was wondering if this info was accurate? would love to hear other people's positive stories about their periods returning, that might give me some hope. thanks in advance.

I was on the Depo shot for two years, and I'm 20. I went on the ring in December. (That was a disaster!) But now I'm on Yaz. My period came back as soon as I took out the ring for a whole week. My doctor explained that switching to another birth control might have reset my system faster.

There's a very good chance your not infertile. But it does take a long time for some people. One of my friends was only on the shot for a year and didn't have her period for a year after that. It'll come back, but the more you worry, the longer it'll stay away.

But certainly, talk to your doctor about your concerns. She/he can do a fertility test if you're worried.

ECNIB- ALL depo does is stop ovulation for a short period of time, it would almost be impossible to become infertile due to depo.

Infertility is caused by excessive scarring due to endometriosis, or other abnormalities.

IF I were you I would try using a regular BC pill for 2-3 months, that would jump start your period.

I am 31 and have been off the depo for 12 months with no sign of my period returning. I've tried taking the pill for the last month and have just had a 7 day period free break after the first pack of pills. I'm concerned about being infertile and have asked my doctor for tests. Any advice anyone?

Hey I am nearly 18 and I was on depo for about a year, periods returned 3 months after last shot was due which I never went for, but since then I have been bleeding every other week. I havent read any posts about anyone as young as me being on the shot. But my periods returned pretty fast compared to alot of people does this mean my fertility might aswel?

I am 35 was on depo for a year after my second child @ 32......he just turned 3...I have been off the shot for 2 years...my period came back after about 6 months...when it did i had a period every two weeks for about 4 months, then it normalized....i have sex regularly as i am married to a younger man and he has a hearty appetite....I have not used any bc in two years...i was previously very fertile... i am not trying to get pregnant nor an i trying not to get pregnant ....but i find it very interesting that i have not in two years...call me weird but i have a feeling that i am infertile...something about that womens' intuition, i know something isn't right ...one responder said that it is highly unlikely to become infertile from depo...but i beg to differ, the more stories i read the more i wonder if i did want to conciously try to get pregnant it may be a hard road ahead...we all know that the medical industry doesn't tell us the TRUTH about adverse effects until they are ready to admit something has gone awry..............................just my her-story. what do you think?

I took depo at the ages of 15-17. I've been off of it for 11 years. I have to take progesterone every month just to have a cycle and then the majority of the time it last for 2-3 weeks. Before being prescribed progesterone I went years without a cycle and without the progesterone I don't have a cycle. Now my husband and I have been trying to have a baby for 8 years now with no luck. We've tried all kinds of fertility treatments and we get nothing. I'm running out of hope. Does anyone have suggestions?

I was on depo for around 8 years with just a short break of 3 months in the middle. I wasn't told of the affects on the return to fertility. I had my first period after 9 months but my cycles have been highly irregular and last month was the first month I actually ovulated - 18 months after the last injection.

It is really frustrating that this is not advertised more when you go on the injection. I think I only started ovulating this early because I have been having reflexology which has done wonders for my health in general. I don't think Depo permanently affects your fertility - in my experience it just takes a very long time to return.

Hope this helps.

im 18 n been on depo for 3 n a half years, i hardly ever have periods my last period was in may 08 n now its jan 09 and hate it. i asked my doctor if it was normal and she said i was one of the lucky ones that didn't have them but it just makes me scared that in the future i might not be able to have kids.

im 18 years old, and i first had a depo shot after i gave birth to my first son at the age of 17, i only had one shot and my periods didnt stop at all. but i have been having trouble getting pregnant ever since. i dont advise the depo shot at all, they need to take it off the market completely.

ITS TERRIBLE!

Im so angry that the docs dont give enough info when they jab you. i really do wish i had the info before i got the jab.

PLEASE PEOPLE DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU GET THE DEPO DONE!

x

I'm 20 years old now, and been off depo for 2 years.. I started depo at 16, stopped at 18. It took over a year for me to get my period back, and when I got it it was just alil bit of blood.
Then slowly it started....Pain, ect. You know the Great GIrl Thing when it hurts!
Well my Husband and I have been trying to get preg. since September 28 2008. Sad i know the exact date when we've decided! lol.
But no luck..And my hope is starting to wear thin...I can't go to the doctor, because they told me to try for atleast a year before coming back and asking for help...Is there any tips people can give me? DId depo screw my life up...? :'(

Hi, I just turned 25 this month. I was on the Depo shot when I was 16-17 years old. I stopped the shot after I got pregnant twice while getting the shot. I however, miscarried both times and because I was not having periods I did not know I was pregnant on both occasions. I actually do not want children by choice, but for the ones who are trying to conceive I wish you all the luck. I have been off the Depo shot now for 8 years and I have yet to become pregnant. I have been with my fiancé for 5 years and we don’t use any form of birth control or condoms or anything. And without getting into too much detail he doesn't usually pull out either. I have yet to get pregnant with my guy now and I did not with my ex-husband after I stopped the Depo. I really feel that the Depot has made me infertile and luckily neither I nor my fiancé want children, but I think that they really need to take this option off the list. It is horrible and I gained a ton of weight with it and it has such a high risk of causing osteoporosis which in itself alone should be a reason to remove the product from further distribution. Oh I also have real bad periods now with horrible cramps and stuff ever since i stopped the Depo!!!!! WARNING DO NOT USE THE DEPO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am 21 years old, been with boyfriend for 8 years! i was on depo when i was 15-thru-18 i have been trying to concieve since i gotten off the needle, still no luck. i have REGULAR periods and can predict to the very day. i have tried ovulation tests but i cant seem to find my days when im ovulating! its starting to get to my head! im thinking it has something to do with the depo shots!??????? very frustrating! would be good to hear some miracle stories!

I was on the Depo shot for 5 years, and i loved it. I got off of it and it took about 6 months to regulate my periods. I have had friends that have returned to normal faster by getting on the pill for a few months. The general consensus is that it takes about 18 months to return to normal. Also i've learned that the younger you start the Depo shot the longer it can take to reset your cycle because your cycle wasn't as well developed as someone a little older. ( i took it from age 17 to 22, but didn't experience any of the bad side effects that some women are reporting) All in all Depo was the easiest most fool-proof form of BC for me. I have had many more bad side effects from different kinds of pills than from the shot. I think each women just needs to find what is right for her.