Hello! I am desperate for my best friend has been diagnosed recently with both tuberculosis and hiv. Can somebody tell me what are his chances to survive and what is the best treatment for patients with tuberculosis and hiv and is my friend in risk of getting some other illness also? Thanks much!

I don't think you should be hoping too much for you know it is very common that patient's with hiv develop tuberculosis and that is not all for it is more likely that your friend risks of developing many other complications such as extra pulmonary tuberculosis meaning that this bacteria could easily spread onto some other organs such as bones and even central nervous system. And having tuberculosis and hiv almost always involves risk of getting multi-drug resistant tuberculosis so in this situation no meds could help the patient dealing with tuberculosis and hiv condition. You see your friend would be probably treated with separate meds treatment for being mixed therefore taken together their effectiveness is much reduced anyway I don't think his chances for surviving are great.