Hello! My close relative has been diagnosed with tuberculosis and is currently being treated for it. Recently, though, another problem occurred. His eyes started itching and got read. He saw his doctor and was diagnosed with conjunctivitis, and he got some treatment for that too. I am interested are there going to be some significant effects of tuberculosis on his conjunctiva inflammation? Is he now in more of a risk of ocular TB?

Hi! I am no expert though I did have a relative who had tuberculosis too. I think that the only connection is probably that that tuberculosis has weaken his immune system and he is more open to infections, viruses and allergies which usually cause conjunctivitis. He should, nevertheless, consult the doctor that treats his tuberculosis as to prevent any possible complications.

Hello! I don’t want to scare you or your relative but I must say that I have heard about some cases when tuberculosis causes the conjunctiva inflammation, although they are rare. I am not sure whether it means that ocular tuberculosis must follow or not, I really wouldn’t speculate. I agree, therefore, that he should consult some professional. I would like to know more about this issue too, so I hope that this discussion will continue.