3 yrs ago I had sex with a prostitute. Initially it was protected sex but after that I do not know what got into me and had unprotected vaginal sex. It lasted for about 5 to 10 mins. If I remember correctly , i got sick with flu and fever within 3 months of the exposure, not too sure as it was too long ago but I am sure I did not get any symptoms for at least the first 5 weeks. The flu lasted for close to 2 weeks, I did not experience any other symptoms at all. What do you think my chances are of having hiv, I am extremely worried. Just for your info my friend had sex with the same prostitute about a few months later and she insisted on using condom all the time even for oral sex.

I would suggest going to get tested just to be safe. Even if you have sex with someone infected with that disease for 2 minutes you can STILL get it. I hope you will use protection next time you have sex.

Good luck.

Is there a chance you could have unprotected sex with someone that has HIV and still not get it? What about Magic Johnson. He has HIV, and I saw him and his wife on a talk show, and she said at the time she did not have it, and had not always used protection.

That is untrue, him and his wife both have HIV and are on treatment ... good treatment which they follow carefully and well ... hence their looking good and prospering in life regardless of the fact that they are HIV + ... and they do not have unprotected sex together!

sometimes these test give negative results meanwhile person keeps on 'suffering'

Ever since my possible exposure, i have had two tests and are all negatives meanwhile i am still in pains from the time those symptoms started about a year ago.

Don't worry so much. The mind does play tricks on you and it seems to me that you have it in your head.If you got sick in three months dam that was really fast y wasn't it just a normal cold. GO TO THE DOCTOR