I was talking to an ultra runner yesterday about my upcoming marathon. The Marine Corps Marathon course has changed a little and this year the first 2.5 miles are pretty much up hill. I don't have any problem with hills because I incorporate them into my training all the time. However, my friend told me it might be a good idea to walk the first mile. He said it would only affect my time by less than 5 minutes (I'll be around a 10-11 min/mile pace running) and since this is my first marathon I am only going "to finish." Plus, he said it will help with having the energy left at the end of the race.

I still have time to do some short runs and practice this method but should I? Mentally I think this will be a real downer for me. I would much rather seed myself in a faster pace group and let people pass me then to be at the end and have to "catch up."

All my previous long runs have been pretty good. I have done two 22 milers, a 20 miler, and 3-4 18 milers. I haven't attempted this method before and I have felt pretty good after each of those runs. I didn't, however, have 2.5 miles of hills at the very beginning.

Oh, also, he figures there will be a lot of starting line congestion, too, so it won't seem as bad as I think.

Comments?

Don't worry about it. The starts are so crowded you usually start out slowly anyway. Line up at your pace and you should be good. Think easy but I don't think you have to walk.

I'd line up with your pace group, and you should be fine. The pack breaks up pretty quick.

I'll never intentionally walk any part of any race.

That is kind of my motto, too.

I never ran a marathon---don't plan to, but what is the difference between a fast walk or a slow run? Nothing, but to say I ran the entire 26.2, I would run very slowly........

I agree with Bob and Coach. The start will be pretty thick and the first mile will be slow. So go with your original plan and you'll be fine.

I think the ultra runner answered you with "ultra running thinking." Or, at least, I read a recent article about ultra running. I think it may have been in Muscle and Fitness Hers. Anyways, the person they interviewed (an ultra runner) recommended walking up hills, to conserve energy. But the ultra runner is thinking in much longer mileage terms than the 26.2 miles.

Although he doesn't usually mean the FIRST mile, the Galloway style includes lots of walking. I've heard lots of good things about that program.

it just may have been his or her "ultra" mentality talking to you about walking the first mile.

you sound very well prepared for this.

i wish you the best!!!