I'm going to start training for my first marathon soon. I live in the "foothills of Appalachia" and finding more than 1 or so level miles to run on is not really applicable in this area. For me to map out a 10 mile or more run will incoprorate some good size hills for a 10 to 20 mile run.
Will this hurt or harm me? I don't feel it should be harmful, if this is my normal training environment. It seems the reading that I have done is you should look for the flattest, non-hill environment that you can find.
So, should I try to compensate for the time involved that it will take me to run the hills into my long runs, or maybe just run for time on the long runs (ie, run for 2 hours vs running for distance)? I have 1/2 mile high hills to longer, higher hills right now to run on.

Will your marathon be hilly? If so, makes sense to throw in more hills. My lone marathon was flat, flat, flat. I did a lot of hills, and felt it was a benefit rather than a detriment. Hills are our friends, and really help build endurance and aerobic capacity. The more hills, the better.

I'm guessing these articles are talking about the marathon itself. Searching out a course that is flat for raceday, will make the 26.2 miles that much easier. But as Elkid says, incorporating them into your training runs is a big plus.

Do yourself a favor.
1) Go slow on the downhill part and do your best to not lean back to brake and keep from going too fast. This is too hard on your knees, ankles, feet and quad muscles. Please dont hurt yourelf.

2) Build your speed very, very gradually. Build a solid aerobic base.

3) Go on one side of the cambered road and come back on the same side of the road. This ensures your bones, ligaments and muscles get the equal stress and strain.

4) It's best to keep this workout to evry week or 2 weeks. If you have to do this terrain more than that, jog easily up the hills and walk downhill. This can almost simulate a semi fat course.

Most marathons have inclines, rolling hills and some very steep hills in some cases. Hill work is very important. Be very conservative because this workout creates more problems than any other. Runners always want to go too fast, too quick and be too overzealous, too often, too much. Whew.