Started back running about a year and a half ago. Got the distance up from 1 and a half miles to start with to 10 miles. Also got my time down to. Im normally running 8 minute miles, but i want to get my 3 - 5 miles down to 7 minute miles to start with, but i just cant do it. My best 5 mile was 37:20 but that near killed me. Any tips or advice greatly appreciated

Personally, I'm a fan of Fartlek workouts. I like them because you don't need a track to do them.

If you are around telephone poles, just go quick between two and take the next set to recover, quick again, then recover and so on.

If your in the city, you can do city blocks or cracks in the sidewalk.

If your on a track you can do it by laps.

200s on the track might be a good start.

Warmup 1 or 2 miles.

Run half a lap hard and do a recovery job the other half. Start with 6 and build up to 10 over a few weeks.

The most important factor of speed is to do more base mileage. The more miles you consistently run each week makes you faster. But, the 200s gives you some form of high leg turnover which "trains" your body to go faster.

But simply adding more weekly mileage and doing a 90-120 minute long run each week will make you faster based on the times you posted.

There isn't a quick fix.

I agree with the previous 2 posters...start with increasing your base miles and include a weekly long run into your schedule. 2 types of speed sessions you can do to improve your training/racing pace are intervals and tempo runs.
Intervals are typically repeated 2-6 min efforts of 5k to 10k race pace with recovery (preferably active recovery or easy jogging) in between repeats. These workouts improve your speed...thus allowing you to run faster.
Tempo runs are longer continuous runs at a reasonably hard effort (anywhere between 10k and half marathon race pace). The pace should be one that can be sustained up to an hour (20-40 mins is the norm for a typical tempo session). They should feel comfortably hard and breathing should still be controlled. If done correctly, tempo runs improve your ability to sustain a fast pace for a longer period of time without tiring.

Thanks for the tips lads. Tell us is it possible to speed up my short/middle distance runs and also try and train for a marathon, or should you specifically concentrate on one. Bear in mind i dont intend to become a top marathon runner or a 5mile record holder

you have some great advice here...I'd add something, but these guys have pretty much given you the gamut.

take their advice, and you'll get there.