As I look at my running log for this month and the comments from each day of training.

I found I tend to talk/write about how I feel as the miles progress on that day run despite having some great days where I'm getting faster, and more into the way I used to run prior to my injuries.

So is it the speed or distance that matters more to you?

M

I'm all about the distance currently. But I'm still at the stage of the game where I'm trying to increase mileage, building a good enough base in an effort to convince my body that I really am a runner.

Speed, I obsess over the MPM numbers, almost as much as the HR numbers

I know building up my distance at this point is very important, probably more important than speed in order to become the runner I want to be, but I obsess about my speed. I still fluxuate a lot, concerning speed. For example, I ran 5 miles in 39 minutes (which had me literally doing leaps of joy) than a few runs later I barely did 5 miles in under 45 minutes, it frustrates me to no end.

My long runs seem always to be slow; I just got them under 9. You know, distance is something you can have complete control of, I feel, but speed is part God given and a lot of track work. I'm learning that patience is huge when it comes to my running and balancing learning to be patient with how competitive and passionate I'm feeling about running can be very difficult. But, I love this sport. I really do. My husband says that I must have always had a latent runner in me, I just finally got in touch with her. :D

Distance, mainly for the reason shelee said: that you have complete control over and since I am so pathetically slow, it makes me feel like WAY less of a runner to obsess over speed. Now that I basically gave up racing and just run for enjoyment, the only thing I track is how far I run each day. I could care less about the rest of it. If there comes a point somewhere down the line when I really want to work on speed, great. If not, being able to run 30 mpw or more, regardless of how long it takes me, enables me to say to myself, "Genie, you ARE a real runner." My ultimate goal is an ultra anyway, which is perfect for my slow but can go all day pace. ;)

Speed. I can cover an distance up to 26.2 miles so it's all a matter of how fast I can do it now.

The first thing I do when i get in from a run is log the time and distance so I can see how fast/slow I was going. Especially important on tempo days.

These are some good comments folks and thanks for the time.
Shelee the reason I ask was doing my 10 mile run last Sat I had problems the week a step back week yet felt realy strong doing my run on Sat. Felt so good that me 10 miler turned into 11.25 mile run with no illeffects, and was pumped more over the distance than the time.
I'm finding my body is slowly getting there to do 1/2 marathons without breaking down, but also feeling good about just the distance without the speed.
I have 1 core day where speed (track day) is the main function for that day, but everything else has been more relaxed as the distance has increased.
M

Distance to me right now, since I'm training for marathon. If I were training for 5K, it'd be speed.

Even though I'm trying to build up my weekly mileage I obsess over speed. If I'm running over 7:00 miles on any run 5 miles or less it just drives me nuts. I want my long runs (10+) to be under 8:00 but not quite there yet.

M
:thumbsup:

I think I am on a distance kick right now. Since I do over 1/2 of my miles on the mill, pace is not a concern because I can regulate that based on how I feel. I am really work on my distance. Gun for min. of 5 day, long this year is 6. Trying to keep my average run over 5 miles this year.

I think the answer is dependent on where one is in their training, and what type of training one is doing. One must first conquer the distance before attacking the speed. And, if you read everyone's posts, you can see that's exactly what's going on.
Me? I got the distance thing down. Now, I'm going for speed.

Right now I am going for distance. I think it is a more attainable goal than speed for me.

But eventually I would like to have both!

Speed over distance