Hi, I am a forty six years old woman. A year ago I was diagnosed with chronic depression. Believe me when I say that sometimes I just do not know what to do with my life. All sort of things have crossed my mind. The doctor has prescribed me some medication that, at first, worked but now it doesn't. I have tried out a couple of others, from my friends, but they all have the same results. Can you help me with my search since I am unable to find the right drug for my depression?

Hi, depression is a serious condition. If in a severe form, it can even cause people that suffer from it, to commit suicide. Drugs that are prescribed for this kind of condition are called antidepressants. They can be taken only if and how a doctor prescribes them. Because you have taken some antidepressants that were prescribed to your friends, you can even make your situation worse. Since the drug that was prescribed to you does not have the same effect as it used to, you should talk to your doctor about it. It is not wise to do anything on your own. Perhaps you were diagnosed with the wrong kind of depression and that is why your mental health is not improving. As I said, the best thing and the only prudent solution for you would be to talk to your doctor about it.

Dear Poster,

I think that the best advice anyone could give you right now is to 'hang in there'. It takes almost everyone with a mental health problem to find the right medication/mix of medications (I refer to it as my cocktail). Just be ready to stay the course and adhere to the regimine your healhcare provider dictates. You'll make it!