My 8 years old child is diagnosed with Asperger’s. I know some general info about the disorder but I want to help my child by understanding Asperger’s. Of course I’ve already talked to specialist but I’d also like to hear of some other info about how to help and understand my child. Thanks.

Hi! I’m a mom of a child with Asperger’s. You need to understand that your child lives in his own way and in order to help him you must be aware that his eccentricity is not the result of bad behavior. Not all persons with Asperger’s are alike but almost all of them have this “odd” presentation. In order to make the best for your child you need to understand Asperger’s. Those kids like sameness and routine and every sudden change would upset them so you try to offer him a daily routine and therefore he will be more successful in gaining tasks. He is naïve and don’t understand jokes and is very sensitive so try to protect him from teasing. And though he probably has good language skill he probably has communication difficulty so you need to teach him what to say and how to say it. Children with Asperger’s are disorganized and have poor concentration and can not distinguish what is relevant. You have to praise him and encourage him constantly for his self-esteem is probably low. I know it’s harsh but this is the only way your child could improve his skills.