I need some appendicitis info-is it dangerous and what treatment is the best. My 12 year old son has woken yesterday morning with the pain in his lower right abdomen area and I took him to the doc and he was diagnosed with appendicitis. Actually doc explained me everything and in fact my son is scheduled for a surgery tomorrow but I need to hear some more appendicitis info what is it and what is the surgery alike.

Appendicitis describes the appendix inflammation that is usually caused by some bacteria that has spread through intestines into the appendix. It is more likely that your son's appendix has been infected and now it is inflamed but his appendicitis is about to be cured very simply I suppose he will have laparoscopy-surgery treatment that is not invasive, doesn't last long and he might go home the next day without any special scars on his abdomen. My now 17 year old daughter has got her appendix removed few years ago and she recovered fast, and I think it is better for the appendix when it is inflamed to be removed for it not serves to nothing special and might cause serious medical problems especially when inflammation is not treated. The fact is if inflamed appendix-appendicitis- is not treated it might lead and usually is so to appendix rupture in which situation all the contents of the intestines is poured out into the abdomen and this is very serious condition that might lead to the death. So go ahead for at this point you don't have to worry, your son is diagnosed with appendicitis on time and he will be ok just in a few days, you will see.