I would like to talk to someone who has tried Clonidine to help their Autistic child sleep. Our daughter (5 1/2) is Autistic, and has had a lot of trouble sleeping lately. We tried the Clonidine for the first time last night (half a small tablet). I saw no improvement. She seemed to wake up even more times than usual. I am wondering if this medicine takes time to really become effective? I should mention that we are also giving her melatonin (have been for some time), and that we would NEVER give her any prescription drugs unless if we weren't desperate. Also, she no longer wants to sleep in her bed. She prefers to sleep on the sofa. We are going to have to teach her to sleep in her own bed again somehow. It is hard to explain things like this to an Autistic child, especially when they are totally non-verbal. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

My 8 yr old son takes half of 0.1mg clonidine at 2:15pm and a 0.1mg clonidine at 7pm and he can still fight it and stay up/awake. Hes on other medications but clonidine for sleep. I let him play til he says hes sleepy.and I make sure his belly is full and he sleeps better.

My daughter is 8 takes o.2 mg clonidindine plus melatonin in order her go to sleep works periodically she wont go to bed or will wake up 1am be up all night till next night . Dr said really no medications for children on spectrum