My six year old daughter wont sleep at night. she just tosses and turns and will stay up. If someone sleeps with her it takes her a while but she eventually will. We have her on something called Melatonin. It was working but seems to make to effect on her now. She is loseing sleep so she is doing worse and worse in school. and her attitude is terrible. i dont know what to do?

I dont think that I agree putting any child on a sleep aid. Has she been diagnosed by a doctor with any sleep conditions? If she falls asleep eventually with someone else in the room then she obviously does not have a sleep condition.

Well,
The fact that she doesn’t sleep at night might be caused by the nightmares. This is the age when you child starts to have its first nightmare and there for she might be afraid to sleep at night. Have you noticed is she sleeps during the day? Many children at this age have problems with their sleep and they stay awake all night long. And even if they fall asleep they have a hard time to get there. I am not sure what is the best solution for this problem, but you can try with warm milk or warm tea before bed time. I hope this helped you in any way.

Good luck,
Karel