My 8 year old daughter has been having vaginal and sometime anal pain at night. Goes and goes almost like spasms. She has been seeing a urologist. She had tests like a VCUG and full sonogram of the bladder and kidneys, everything is completely normal. She was taking Ditropan for possible bladder spasms, but it does not work. She will have pain at night only lasting from 4 to 7 days, and then going away for periods of 2 weeks or under. The urologist does not know whay she is having pain. He thinks it could possibly be due to her competitive gymnastics - muscle spasms. Any help would be appreciated!

my daughter is 4 years old and has the same thing i go back and forth is this real pain or not why odes it only come at night during the day she is totally fine. she says it burns and hurts i was just wondering did u find out what was causing your daughters pain?

Hi have been googling vaginal pain in children as been up all night with my 5 year old daughter. She has complained of this on and off for a year and to be honest I never really believed her as it only happened at night and I thought she was using it as an excuse to not go to bed. Last night however she was awoken by it at one o'clock in the morning and was in pain on and off for an hour, I am taking her up to the doctors this morning - i don't suppose either of you have got any where with your doctors.

I also have been having the same issue with my 10 year old daughter. Up around 1 or 2am for an hour with pain, burning. Ruled out yeast, though the medication does seem to help. Has anyone found out what it is? Could it be a pin worm symptom? - I'm going to the doctor today about that...

My daughter is going to be 8 in 3 days and every month since April she has had severe pain in her lower back, lower belly, and legs and Also she bleeds as if she is on her period. We did an ultrasound but that is fine now she has to go to a Pediatric Endrocronoligist. I am so scared we just moved here from Texas a month ago and she is not doing so good and now this. She is a happy bouncy kid and now with the pain she does not want to do anything at all. If anyone has any answers or suggestion it would be appreciated.

Finally I am able to read of mothers whose daughters are experiencing what I am also experiencing with my 6 year old. Same mysterious symptoms. Pain only at night, appears to come and go in spasms, but fortunately does not go for longer that 15 mins at a time. She complains of pain and stinging. This happens very irregularily. We have a salt water pool that she enjoys, especially jumping in. I must admit the middle of the night pains did only happen in the summer months and not once during winter. I was thinking it could be related as this was the only pattern I have been able to establish. Does anyone else have pool? We have not been to the doctors, yet!! Does anyone have any further clarity on what this is and what is causing it and will they grow out of it??!!!! Any help would be appreciated also.

My 7 yr old daughter is complaining about the same problem. Before it was like once in a month, then it started once a week, now it is occuring everyday. Did anyone got a solution???????

My sister in law had this same problem when she was 7. She had spasms in her upper thighs and vagina and lower back and anus. She never bled. But the doctors found out what the problem was. She was on ADHD meds at the time and her body couldn't handle so her body was having withdrawls. So if any of your daughters are on ADHD or ADD meds then you should get them taken off of it ASAP. I hope this helps. And for the moms that there daughters are 8 through 10 years old and are on this kind of medicine then they could possibly trying to start there period. And the medicine is stopping them from doing so, so they could be having menstrual cramps but no period.

Hi, my 6yr old has been complaining of stabbing pains in her vagina and also of being very sensitive around it and down her legs too.
I thought it was worms because she had them a couple of times but this seems different.
It happens mostly at night but also in the day too.
She's been to the doctor, had urine samples and swabs but so far tests came back normal.
I wash her very carefully morning and night, no soap in her bath etc, we use very gentle washing detergent etc.

I wish I had some answers, I researched and symptoms seem similar to things like interstitial cystitis, vulvodynia (not common in children though) and fybromyalgia! But then again I could just be scaring myself!
Its horrible that the doctors seem so blaze', like they don't really care. :-(

My 3 1/2 year old daughter is experiencing this also. We don't have a pool and the doctors are no help. It happens about every 2-3 weeks. It wakes her up from a dead sleep. She complains of severe pain. We have at least figured out that motrin will stop the pain in about 5-10 minutes and then she is off to sleep. This seems to be fairly common since we are talking about it on a forum. When I google the symptoms I come up with Crohn's or perirectal disease.............scaring the shoot out of myself. If anyone comes up with anything email me. We need to find an answer and then start a web page about it!

I am very surprised that these symptoms seem more common than I thought. My daughter is 3 and 1/2 and is experiencing the same symptoms. I have taken her to the doctor twice but they can't seem to find the cause. We, as parents, need to come together and figure this out...for our own children's health. If you have any information, PLEASE email me directly at !! THANKS!!!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

To all of you who have children who are experiencing this, I had this when I was a little girl and I'm now fifty. Don't ever assume it's not real. It is very real and very painful. I never had it during the day--only at night. It would wake me from a sound sleep, and it was scary because it hurt so bad and I didn't know what it was. I was a very healthy child, both emotionally and physically. This was not a side effect of anything. It was a total mystery. I would just suffer with it until I could fall back to sleep and by morning, it was always completely gone. For me, it happened occasionally, not every night.

You should keep in mind that you may not all be dealing with exactly the same condition. Just because several little girls have similar symptoms does not mean they all have the condition with the same causes. I noticed that some people think they have come up with some kind of answer or diagnosis based on their own child, but you can't just apply that to everyone. For example, just because some little girls happen to have had spasms, urinary tract problems, infections, or reactions to medications does not mean that suddenly it is the cause for all little girls. I had none of those things, and mine didn't even feel like any of those things would feel. It went away with time and I never again experienced it. If I recall, it seemed to go away permanently at around 12 years of age or so, before I ever had periods. There are so many things doctors don't understand, and when they can't find a cause, they like to chalk it up to imagination. That makes me incredible angry. Just because something cannot be proved does not mean it doesn't exist.

the reason that your girls aren't complaining about the pain at night is probably because they are active during the day. there are several reasons for vaginal pain/discomfort, puberty/mensus is the #1 reason... 2nd is infection, 3rd is trauma, 4th is "growing pains" for parents of girls younger than 7 you need to be concerned about precocious puberty.. have your primary care physician check her hormone levels. anyone considering that maybe your girls are irritating themselves by masturbating??? it has no age restriction.. children begin masturbating as early as 2 years old..

Sahnoaman's comments are ridiculous. I posted right above that one, and excuse me, but masturbation and objects had nothing to do with mine since I never did that, and I doubt it does with any of these other little girls either. That is really a stretch. Please! That might happen in rare cases, but it's certainly not what I experienced. This was a strange type of pain unlike any I've ever experienced since, and I've never experienced anything like it in all my years as an adult. It was NOT the type of pain you'd get from injury, infection, or irritation! Is that clear?!

People who have not had something always think they are in a position to decide what it is, when they are the ones least capable of that since they have absolutely no experience with it. As I already said, looking back, there were absolutely no causes that I can point to for this pain. No infections, no illnesses, no "masterbation", no abuse, no spasms, NOTHING! The only thing that would make sense is some kind of growing pains. My pain started at about 7-8 yrs old. Maybe the tissue in that area does grow and change in the years before puberty and causes pain in some girls. It's the only thing that makes sense for those of us who had "no logical causes".

Hello. I am a medical doctor and I had never heard of this, but the last two nights my 4 year old daughter has been complaining about severe pain in the anus, waking up from it, and thrashing her legs and wriggling. Yesterday I thought it might be pinworm infection, but that would merely be very very itchy, and the pain seems to severe for it. I gave her a tablet of mebendazol, to take care of this (you should repeat this after two weeks by the way) but tonight the pain recurred.

Yesterday after two hours with her cramping between us in the bed, and trying other things like destraction with a dvd I put her in a warm bath. It then seemed to abide, and she became drowsy. It put her in the bed and she slept till 11 am (!)

Tonight she woke us again. Because she has been normal and cheerfull al day, even dancing, it does not seem something dangerous. She was sleeping, and moaning from pain, and as I stood there woke up. After a little while trying to calm her down I gave her a paracetamol (acetominophen) and put her in front of the DVD. This helped in about 20 minutes.

I am now browsing the internet, and the most likely description for it I found so far is called proctalgia fugax.

IN