I observe my 6 years old son diagnosed with autism and I wonder if he’s capable of lying. I’m well informed of autistic child behaving but want to know do autistic kids lie. Thanks.

I have an autistic brother and let me tell you they can lie just like any other human. They tell their reality not necessarily the truth. They usually tell it how they see it (if they can talk). They are still human. My brother is actually facing jail time because of lieing. Of course they will most likely put him in a home but he did do some bad things and then lied about them but he is very autistic, but he can talk. I have taken care of many autisitic children over the last few years (about 15 years almost) and have known many of them to lie or say half truths.

I have a 12 year old son with Autism, and I know he can lie. He doesn't lie very often, and I can always tell when he does.

I will go out on a limb here and also say, nobody knows Autism quite like the parents and siblings of someone who has Autism....that includes you 'experts.'

I am a real expert.

Oh, yeah, they lie. Lie like a rug. My son is 15, and is high functional austic, and lies at every opportunity. Even though he is punished very seldom, he will lie about everything from what time did he get up, did he brush his teeth, did he break something and on and on.
In fact he lies so often that we dont know when to believe him or not. It is very frustrating but the answer is YES, the can and do lie.

actually i have done research and a girl by the nam of beth kelly a psychology phd at queens university has proven that autistic children do lie cuz they dont want to hurt other peoples feelings and it has been tested and proven

OMG!!!! My son is 14 and man he can lie. I agree with u. My son lies and will look u straight in the face and not bat an eye. He is the best lier I have ever seen. My husband and I don't know what to do with him. He goes into his sisters room and steals her ipod all the time and gets caught red handed. He will swear he doesnt have it. I am at a total lose with him and lies and touching things in our house that are not his. Sneaking and eating as well. Any answers from anyone out their?? What are we to do??? How do you punish him???

I have austim and I can lie just fine. Btw, this would be a lie if I always tell the truth. If this was the truth, then I would be lying. Mwhahaha!

I'm now coming to the realization that they do lie and some of there lies are very serious. my son is high functioning autism and will be turning 11 this year. We were out with my mom his nana which unfortantly we dont see as often now that she has a boyfriend and i myself have been married a year and a half. He started to tell my mom that my husband is a meanie and i am a meanie lover, my husband teases him about not eating vegtables and how he's going to give him some brocoli. Then he pushed me away when i tried to tell him that i do love him and curled up next to my mom and then he told her i punched him in the face. Greatly my mom didnt believe him, i lived with her for years when he was small and she never saw me be violent in any way shape or form. We concluded that maybe he just really missed her and she needs to spend more time with him. I also explained how serious it is to say things like that, I said there would be people who'd have to determine if i did those things to you and you wouldnt get to chose where you go live, you'd live in a place with a bunch of other kids where nothing was just yours and you'd have to share everything. I told him you'd no longer get lego sets, video games you've wanted to play, or get to pick out your own birthday theme and celebrate it with classmates, friends. and family. I honestly think my son is trying to use it to manipulate me because when i told him we were going somewhere to place on his shoes and turn off his nintendo ds he started with the whole you punched me in the face thing and i told him if you want to lie i'm going to take you to a physciatrist for it, he quickly got over it put on his shoes and was a different person i'm starting to feel like i got dr.jeckyl and mr.hyde here. he's always been a pretty good kid, but this is something new i would of never expected from him.

Any type of child is capable of lieing

I don't think aspergers have any problem lying. I can try but a two year old could do better and I gave up trying about age 10.  I have no imagination to make an effective falsehood. It really is irrelevant since it is never possible to use words even written, adequately to be accepted as true to any human so all is considered a lie and I have died for it required resuscitation to be here now. Many more times my life has been endangered for being unbelieved.

The real question is why are we abused and killed for the assumption of being liars in all circumstances? These replies are promoting death.

As a High-Functioning Autistic person, here's something for ya: Any thing with the ability to make words or communicate is capable of lying. The people you gotta be careful about are the "Mostly-Truthers". These are people who tell the truth most of the time, and you usually can trust them. The real insidious part is when they lie for the first time; due to their history of truth, this comes out most of the time as a "truth" as well.

So don't expect that Autistic people can't lie. We've got really good Po-poker Faces.

I'm autistic and I can lie.  I didn't do it very often until I got to be around 8 years old just because I didn't see any point in it.  I started lying on a regular basis at around that age because I did strange things and people did not believe me when I told them what my motives were and what I was doing when they weren't looking.  I made up lies that people would believe, even if they were worse than my actual actions and feelings.  Sometimes I lied in a clever way that made it look like I was trying to hide a motive that I didn't have when I did the thing (or sometimes didn't but got blamed on anyway).  This continued for a long time.  So I lie primarily when it is made impossible for me to tell the truth.  Usually that involves pretending like I care about something so I don't get socially ostracized for some trivial BS.

Sadly for you, Brendan.... They know you are a liar.

MWHAHAHA!!!!

I wonder how many people understood thaat the FIRST time they read it :)

MWHAHAHAHA!!!

While you're correct that autistic children are considered egocentric, it is this very egocentricity that precipitates lying in those children who develop "lying skills" if you will - the unawareness of the consequences of their actions. Even where such skills are delayed, this does not preclude them from developing over time.