I used the contraceptive sponge for the first time about 2 weeks ago. After sex I noticed it had gotten turned around and I had a difficult time removing it. Because of this I was extremely worried that it might not have been effective, so I took the recommended dosage of my old birth control pills I was no longer taking (not expired) about 8 hours after sex as emergency contraception. I'm a little worried cause I was supposed to take 4 pills and then 4 more 12 hours later. I took the first dose at 4 p.m., and set my alarm to take the next dose at 4 a.m., but slept through it and didn't take the pills till 8:30 a.m. - 4.5 hours late!

It made me feel very sick, and I had to stay home with nausea and vomiting, which apparently is normal. However I had my "period" or what I think was it about a week later even though it wasn't due for 2 weeks. I only bled for 3 or 4 days and it was much lighter in flow and darker color after the first tampon, which for me is not typical. I also had no cramps, which isn't normal either. I have been experiencing a lot of anxiety since then and my breasts are very sore and I have felt nausea, even though I already had my "period."

I was just wondering if after using the sponge (possibly incorrectly) and taking ECP (also incorrectly), could I still be pregnant? I know I should probably just take a pregnancy test and will, but I was just wodering if it's normal for ECP to throw one's schedule off like this?

YES, ecp does throw your period off, so no worries just yet.

PLAN B pills are more effective as ECP than regular BC pills, so perhaps you could keep some laying around for the future.

I have an IUD, a hormone free birth control device. I cannot use hormones, so I used the sponge for awhile too. It will get turned around, and smushed sideways, and generally seem like it will not stay put.

You could take a pregnancy test, and it would be accurate. Make sure you get a test that says "Early"

Thanks for the advice. I actually went in for a consultation for an IUD recently myself, but my doctor wanted me to try one more type of pill first (I've been on three, and they all cause unpleasant side effects). I'm deciding if I'd rather use the pills one more time or just get an IUD. I'm waiting to see if insurance will cover it and then make my decision, so hopefully I can just wait till my next period to get it or take the new pills and not be pregnant! Always having to play this "wait-and-see" game each month or be moody, depressed and have no sex drive from the pill is not fun anymore!

My insurance would not cover it, so planned parenthood sold me one for super inexpensive. ..Just an idea.

I am in the healthcare field myself, and have tried many many pills, and the side effects are devastating moodwise for me also.

My doctor said the IUD would cost $650 (which may or may not include the insertion fee - she said sometimes when insurance won't cover the device they'll cover that). How much was yours at Planned Parenthood?

It was very hard for my regular doctor to find an ob/gyn that would insert an IUD in me, as I'm unmarried (in long-term, monogamous relationship though) and don't have any kids. I think the rest are too afraid of being sued if something were to go wrong.

I work PT for womens clinics, and so many doctors just do not have the experience with inserting IUD'S. Many docs are also uninformed, they still see IUD'S as dangerous, whcih they are not. =)

Planned Parenthood has inserted IUD'S on women with no children for YEARS...

I have no children either, and am unmarried. AN IUD at PP can cost anywhere from 100$-350$, and that includes EVERYTHING.

It is worth checking out.