I just had an ultrasound to check if my iud was in place after having pregnancy symptoms with negative urine tests. The tech said that there was no sign of pregnancy but now I am over a week late for my period... what`s up?

we will leave this one up to the one who seems to know everything..................Clarifairy!

NO, NOT all women will lose their periods, ONLY SOME who use the MIRENA IUD.

PARAGARD IUD is copper, and you have your period every month.

SOMETIMES a period is late for no good reason, it is just a fluke. I HAVE A Paragard IUD, and I was a week and a half late month.

IF youa Mirena IUD, then loss of periods is normal, but not all women experience this.

NO RISKS FROM BECOMING STERILE ON AN IUD ARE NOT HIGH. PLEASE DO not spread UNfactual information about contraceptives.

ONLY if you get an STD would the risk of sterility be high.

MANY WOMEN will have 2-3 IUD between their children!

You're right, I'll make sure I wont tell people that you know everything in the future........what was I thinking?

I AM finished with MY DEGREE, and work in an baoriton clinic an OBGYN practice.

Sterility ONLY happens if a PID infection results, this is caused by STDS.

I have had 3 abortions NO CHILDREN, and use an IUD.

Wow...three abortions and you work in an abortion clinc. I guess working there has it's perks.

EXACTLY... It does have it perks ;-)

Look... There are a LOT OF misconceptions about the IUD in mainstream public AND IN medicine in general. EUROPE has been inserting IUD'S in nulliparous women for the past 2 DECADES, and over there they are EXTREMELY popular.

I HAVE personally cared for women who have 2-3-4 children, yet use an IUD for spacing in between them. Some women CANNOT tolerate hormonal methods of birth control, and the IUD is perfect for them. Planned Parenthood has been inserting them in Nulli women for years, and does a greta job at explaining proper precautions for safe sex.

THE FDA approved IUD'S for nulliparous women.

http://www.managingcontraception.com

A HARVARD TRAINED board certified Gynecologist.. HIS website and book are AMAZING.. WE use it. It ANSWERS some MISCONCEPTIONS about IUDS, birth control, and abortion.

carifairy,
will you please learn how to spell.
Your posts are entertaining if nothing else.
However it is driving me crazy trying to decipher what you are trying to say because i cannot make out anything because of your spelling.
And by the way IUDs are notorious for causing PID.
That is why the medical profession recommend that only women who have already had children have them inserted.

IUD'S do not cause PID, STD's cause PID in women who have an IUD.

PLEASE look at that website I posted, and you will see some answers to questions about IUD'S specifically.

STD's are the number one cause of PID in women who use an IUD. This is because STD's are quite nasty for those women who do have IUD's.

Doctors are very careful about inserting them into monogamous women, and explaining the risk-benefit ratio.

I have never had children, and I have used an IUD for 3+ years without any incidence of PID.

Do some research about IUD's, and you will see that it supports what I am saying.

Please read this.. It is pretty much the easiest article to understand, as far as the terminology for laypeople.(I am a healthcare worker, so I can understand more than the average person)

http://www.fhi.org/en/RH/Pubs/Network/v16_2/nt1625.htm
Editor's note, 2/06: Recent evidence indicates that IUDs are extremely safe and effective for both parous and nulliparous women. The IUD itself does not increase the risk of pelvic inflammatory disease, which can lead to infertility; rather, pre-existing STIs increase the risk of infection. Nulliparous women are slightly more likely (up to 10 percent) to expel the IUD. This causes no harm, but if expulsion occurs, the woman will no longer be protected against pregnancy. See the World Health Organization's Medical Eligibility Criteria for Contraceptive Use, 2004,

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/410619_7
**** A 1992 multicenter, multination World Health Organization (WHO) study clearly showed the risk of pelvic inflammatory infection (PID) to be primarily confined to the first 20 days after insertion.[17] In this study, Farley et al[17] found that out of almost 23,000 insertions, the rate of PID was 9.68 per 1,000 women years in the initial 20 days after insertion and 1.39 per 1,000 women years thereafter. After the initial 20 days, the incidence of PID remained low and constant. In 8 years, only 81 cases of PID were diagnosed among these 23,000 insertions.

Another great article
http://www.fhi.org/en/RH/Pubs/Network/v16_2/nt1626.htm

IF you wish to disregard medical science, that is 100% fine by me, but I require new knowledge in order to better help patients that I see daily.

It is ok to not have your period while using a mirena. I haven't had my period for four years and I get regularly checked. It is due to the synthetic hormone released. So don't worry about it.

I hate to see someone so calm about having 3 abortions. It breaks my heart to know 3 babies never had the chance at life. It is so sad.

the IUD I have is for 10yrs what will happen if I don't take in 10yrs

THE IUD I HAVE IS FOR 10YRS WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF I DONT TAKE IT OUT IN TEN YRS :'(