IS THERE ANY TRUTH TO THE BELIEF THAT PLACING A BAR OF SOAP UNDER THE SHEET WILL HELP RELIEVE PAIN?

I herniated a disc in my lower back in 1997. It was so bad that it caused nerve damage. I have suffered tremendous pain in my lower back and right leg for 11 years now. I was told to put a bar of soap under my sheets to help alleviate the pain. I tried it, and it actually worked. I have not been able to sleep in my bed for almost 10 years. I've slept in a recliner all of that time. It has been my 3rd day with the bar soap between my sheets and I actually awoke this morning with NO pain whatsoever. I would recommend trying it. I know is sounds cooky, but so far so good. Hope this helps!!!

There is no scientific basis for the bar of soap under the sheets and relief from pain.

However, if it works for you, keep doing it. No harm in doing it and it's cheaper than prescription medicine.

This is the information i found.

Most leg cramp maladies can be associated with dehydration and depletion of potassium. Gator-ade has sodium chloride, which replenishes lost potassium, as well as rehydrates. Amazingly enough, most bar soaps also contain sodium chloride. During sleep, it is absorbed through the skin from the bar of soap.

That's very strange to hear but I'm glad to hear that it works! Does anyone recommend a particular brand of soap or anything?

healthnfitnessguy wrote:

I use what ever is in the house. Lever right now, but have also used dove. Hearing alot of different types so I don't believe it matters. I have had tremendous results with RLS and arthritis in my feet. Also have been in two many car accidents and have damage in my neck and back and the pain is gone or tremendously reduced!

Interesting that there is a Patent for just the thing you are talking about....

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20120037164#b

When my mother used soap to relieve pain and also leg cramps, I thought she might be fooling herself.  Now, I have several bars in bed with me each night, placing them wherever the pain appears from feet to head.  It works for me and for my husband, and we also use any type of soap.  It does not take away the reason for the pain, but it does allow me to get to sleep when the pain interferes.  It is very much worth the try!

I broke my hip 7 months ago, after surgery I was pain free for two months, and then it was terrible, nothing helped even my meds from the pain clinic, Last Tuesday The Orthpedist suggested removing the hip and replacing it with a different model.

Wed I met someone who brought up the soap method. Even though I felt very foolish even thinking about it I went ahead and tried.

I have been totally pain free fo 5 days now,  I put the soap back in the box every morning and toss into bed at night. It sure beats my Morphine to shame.

I use LEVER 2000 it contains Aloe.

YES IT WORKS I HAVE SEVERE ARTHIRITIS IN MY LEFT ANKLE AND MY KNEE COULD'NT HARDLY WALK I PUT A BAR OF DOVE SOAP UNDER MY SHEET AND THIS MORNING MY LEGS FELT LIKE THEY WERE NEW,I RECOMMEND DOING IT.

Duh...how can SODIUM CHLORIDE replace POTASSIUM?

I have a pinched nerve in my lower back. I'm heavy weight, so if I walk much, I'm in major pain. The strongest pain Meds I choose to take is BC Powders. Someone told me to put a bar of Ivory in my bed. I woke up earlier than normal with NO pain in my lower back. I'm going to have a new bed partner, my Ivory soap...didn't believe it n now I do.

I must've pulled a muscle on the back of my leg, and it was bothering me, off & on, for about 3 weeks! This morning, after i got out of the shower, I remembered reading about soap helping arthritis & pains, so I rubbed some of the wet bar (of Dial soap), on my leg where it hurt! I was amazed how fast it made it feel better! It's been a couple hours now, and the pain isn't bothering me yet. I'm going to try this every morning, and night too, and see what happens!

I have lots of damaged nevers in right sacurm area always in pain will try the soap do I take the wrapper off.

I'm reading about the bar soap for a pain reliever do I put the soap directly near the pain area and do I take the wrapper off?