There was a forum devoted to this, but I cannot find it.

These inner thigh spasms are agony, never know when they will occur. Occur in bed at night. I have been in childbirth, had surgery, hip resurfacing, breast cancer and migraines. Have never experienced such agony as these inner thigh spasms.

I take calcium, magnesium, vitamin d 3 supplements, physically active ( unrelated to whether I exercise or not) Have reviewed my medications. Am hypothyroid, but check this frequently. Stay well hydrated.

These are not Charley Horses. Have other leg cramps, but these inner thigh spasms are horrible.

Will go back to trying mustard at bedtime and keep salt at bedside. Am on no meds that would deplete me of sodium, but do no add it to my food and do not eat salty foods.
Help

Diane B

I have had exactly the same thing, and a nurse suggested I drink tonic water with quinine. I buy the six pack of 8 oz bottles, and drink one before bed each night. It really works. I have also noticed that I am more likely to have the cramps if I have eaten sweets during the afternoon or evening. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed that.

Have tried quinine tonic water
Never noticed an association with sweete

gramma wrote:

deisman wrote:

Help

Diane B

You are not the only one referring to sweets. Someone else referred to Glucose coming down quickly maybe being the cause. I would eat treats befor bed. I've had the cramps for years. Now i'm Diabetic. so my night treats are different. I will pay attention to see if it makes a difference. Sandy D.

This might be what you are looking for.

https://www.steadyhealth.com/Muscle_Spasm_Inner_Thigh_t214387.html?page=3&utm_source=newPosts&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newPostNotification#1027606

I have tried to 40 years to figure this out. They happen so inexplicably and w// fairly long periods between attacks that you can't really tell what works &what doesn't. I wolf down 5 k glucs and 6 Mag's.There's no diagnosis, no stretches, no cure, nothing. Bar soap under the sheet? Pickle juice? Mustard? NO!!!! Screaming?Biting down on towel used to muffle screaming?Praying aloud to the God of ones childhood?YES!!!!

Oh, dear one, do I feel your pain!!  Had inner thigh cramps in both legs just last evening, after a cramp-free period of about a year.  The main preventive that's worked for me has been hydration, BIG time.  As long as I stay pretty well hydrated, I seem to be good to go.  But y'day I had dinner with some friends and drank some wine, which I think dehydrated me just enough to do the trick.  I didn't have enough other liquids (especially water) in addition to the wine.  And your towel idea is great, cause more than once I've wondered if the neighbors could hear me screaming and howling in pain . . . . holy moly, these things are excruciating!  Unlike cramps in any other part of the body that I've EVER experienced.  NEway, you are NOT alone . . . all best to you, Deb

Had my 1st and 2nd inner thigh spasms one night about a month ago after 4 days of 36hole golf, a 5 hour ride home, and then 5hours on a mower. These were the worst pains I have ever had (by far). Went to the ER for fear that a 3rd spasm that night would in all honesty, cause a heart attack. They ran a blod clot check and said blood flow was good. Also checked electrolyte check and also said it looked good...sent me home with muscle relaxers and pain pills which got me through the night but I was a zombie the next 2 days.

I am so glad to finally find that I am not alone, but I am sorry that others suffer from these terrible cramps. I have had these inner thigh cramps off-and-on for 7 years or so. I've only had 4 or 5 episodes that have lasted 10 minutes or more - seems like hours.  It scares those around me. I had a head-on auto accident 17 yrs ago - shattered knee, broken jaw, two broken bones in left arm, fractures eye socket, concussion, fractured heel, broken teeth, etc....These cramps hurt worse than anything I've ever experienced.

I keep Hylands Leg Cramp pills on my nightstand now. When a cramp comes on I put 3 pills under my tongue and let them disolve. The pain stops within a minute most of the time...sometimes just a few seconds. 

I'm almost 50, I take 1-2 hr bike rides 1 to 3 times a week. I got a hydration pack 18 months ago and drink water often when riding and afterwards. That seems to reduce the frequency of attacks.  I've also started applying Ancient Minerals Magnesium Oil to the area after a long bike ride or other strenuous activity. I believe that has been very benificial too.

I also believe that alkalizing the body helps. The average american diet is very acidifying - sugar, processed foods, coffee, flour, alcohol, fast foods, etc.  Google 'alkalizing foods' and 'acidifying foods'. There's a lot of good info on the web.

I hope something here will be beneficial to some of you.