My daughter has the constant urge to eat bar soap, like Irish Spring. This started after her last pregancy. She also developed the need to eat ice constantly. The most demanding time is during her menstrual period. Can you please tell me the harm in these type of habits or urges. She thinks it is because of her anemia. She has developed multiple health problems and we trying to determine if this is the cause. Thank You for your help in this very important problem. Pearl

I know this is an old post, but I know the answer so...

If she is confirmed anemic then she has what is known as "pica". Her body is low on iron and so she is consuming unusual foods for whatever reason. Here is a link in Wikipedia to help explain more than I can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pica_(disorder)

I am a 28 year old woman who has just had a baby... He is almost 3 months old. I CRAVE ''Irish Spring" soap! I started craving it when I was Preggos but still seem to have retained the habit. I lick my hands after every wash and still I feel like I haven't got my 'Fix'... Does anybody else feel like this?

me to i dont know y i do it im confirmed as having low count of blood i like the soap irish sping to also the soap coastCode:

Oh my goodness!!!!!!!!!!!11 I thought I was the only one!!! You guys, I crave all of the ORIGINAL version of these soaps, Irish spring (the green one) Coast (the regular blue and white) and Dial (the gold or the white). I have always loved the way they smell, but oncce I got pregnant, while I'm taking a shower I would wrap up one or the other depending on which ever one I want at the time and just bite off a little piece or lather up the towel and bite the towel. Am I weird or what!!!!!

I also have the same problem but Im 9 months pregnant i dont nibble cus i hate when it get between my teeth but i do lather it up in my hands and lick it off ....

Omg I'm a 16 year old and I crave the Irish sprin original bars I'm caind of worry that I can't stop an that I migth have a side effect from it . Is it bad to eat it imean I don't eat the whole but I cut achunk and the make it into little pieces and eat them trougth the day a chunk can last me for like to weeks but I just wanted to know if it was bad :-)

:o I can say i'm truly surprised to hear that there are alot of people who are on the same boat as me. i've been eating soap for quite a while now and never understood why. i've tried brands like dial, irish spring, ivory, coast, zest, lever and many others. i always considered myself wierd and didn't know how to bring the subject up, not even my husband knows bout it. as the years go by it's gotten a little worse. once i ate so much that i threw up but i'm tryin to get myself to stop. hopefully i can kick the habit. thanks you guys for letting me know i'm not alone.

I also eat soap. I started loving the smell of Dial and Coast when I was young. then started collecting Hotel soaps and smelling those but never using them. then I got pregnant and loved the taste ever since. started with Irish Spring the Green kind then started experimenting with others. Texture and taste. I do like the taste of Ivory original. That is my choice if I buy any. it tends to burn my tongue a lil if I eat too much which causes pain when I eat anything else. that is the only bad side effect for me. I've never thrown up from it or had any other stomach problems. I wish I didn't have this addiction. I do like the soap, but I feel like I'm hiding this from everybody I know, i feel like I'm living a double life. what to do, what to do. I've tried to quit but i find myself craving it.

I thought I was a freak! I craved the smell of Coast soap during my second pregnancy and after I had my baby, the craving went away. During my third and final pregnancy, the craving came back. After I had my baby, the craving got stronger. I eventually tasted the foam and now am eating the soap. I have been "soap free" for almost a week, but only because I bought soap that I do not like the taste of. I absolutely have to stay away from Coast and Safeguard. Why does this happen? Is it pica? I'm so glad I am not alone. No one knows this about me.

I am Jamaican and i thought i was alone in this my addiction is very strong not only do i eat bath soap buy laundry soap as well like blue bomber (Jamaican brand) i eat Dial, Irish Spring, Ivory, Palmolive, Protex to name a few i have been eating soap since i was a child. I had stop for awhile but the craving came back stronger than ever. i want to stop i am trying really head. Doctors told me it can build cancerous cells in the body and can kill the good bacteria that helps your body to digest foods.

:-) Hi there....

I also started craving for soap since I was a teenager...at one point I would finish a whole bar in a month or so... I used to eat it in little pieces until my tongue used to burn... Then I stopped for a few years until I got pregnant...they cravings started again...

I had a miscarriage ( I don't know if that had to do with my habit of eating soap ) I don't think so.... however... After 6 years since I stopped this month I got the cravings again...!!!

I didn't know about this thing called "pica" but now that I read about it, it makes me feel a bit better to know I'm not the only one who is going through this... and now I also understand why am I Anemic...

Anyways..I just wanted to share this with all of you...

..... You guys ever thought of using IRON SUPPLEMENT pills!?!?!?!?!? I am anemic myself and never got those odd urges. I would get week and be very pale and all, but never to eat odd stuff or things that are not meant to be eaten.

I'm like all of you.  and I'm so glad that I found this site.  there is so little information about eating soap.  I don't know anybody personally besides myself that eats soap.  I don't share this with anyone.  It started when I was young, I would smell soaps and collect hotel bar soaps.  I would occasionally lick the bubbles or the soap itself, but I didn't really eat it until I got pregnant.  It started out with Irish Spring, and sometimes Coast or Dial.  After I gave birth the cravings stopped, I was relieved and swore I would never do it again.  then I got pregnant again, and it started all over.  I thought it would go away after I gave birth like last time, but it didn't.  I've been eating soap nonstop for 5 years now.  I eat about a bar a week.  I know this is not normal.  but I like it. I like the taste. I don't know if I want to stop but I probably should.  My soap of choice has been Ivory.  The smell reminds me of being young and I enjoy the taste.  I may have PICA, I'm not sure because I've never been diagnosed.  but I have been anemic, and I do take iron pills, but it still doesn't stop my cravings.  the only drawback is that it sometime burns my tongue and lips if I eat too much.  I also think it's ruining my taste buds and doesn't allow me to eat spicy foods. 

I've also been eating soap for about 2 years now. Dial gold bar is my soap of choice...I've also craved Irish Spring but never tried it, it's strange that most of us crave these 2 brands...???? Must be something about them. Anyway, I am anemic and am currently taking iron pills but still the cravings keep coming...I've tried throwing away all my bars of soap but I just give in and buy more :( I eat about a bar a month, not by bites, but I scrape little by little off with a knife I used to eat until my lips and tongue would burn but now I've learned to control myself and I eat very little, but very frequently...nobody knows this about me either. But I'm glad I'm not alone and I have more ppl to discuss it with...I'm very worried I could get sick which is why I looked it up but it seems everybody here has the same question and no answer...