hi people

i'm looking for a soap bard that's exactly pH value 5.5, which is the pH value of human skin, because i have sensitive skin and i want something that takes care of my daily cleansing needs without risking irritating the skin. 

can some body here give some recommendations for one, i'd like an affordable brand not a ridiculously pricey high end soap bar, just something perfect for every day use in the shower that can be replaced frequently as i run out. 

please leave all suggestions you have below and tell me your experience with the soap bar if you tried it.

I am not a scientist, so take this for what it's worth, but here is what I understand:

• PH value always necessarily refers to liquids rather than solids, and therefore the skin itself does not have any particular pH value. If anyone uses pH test strips on the skin and gets a result, it's probably sweat and other liquids that happen to be on your skin at the time of testing that is producing the result.
  • The chemicals manufacturers use to make a product "pH balanced" may be more damaging than using a product with the "wrong" pH value. Regardless of pH value, these products will strip your skin of the natural oils that actually protect it.

The Sebamed Baby Cleansing Bar has a Ph of exactly 5.5. Their soap free liquid face and body wash is the same. Generally they have very good hypoallergenic and Ph balanced products. I like that brand a lot. Goat milk soap is also 5.5 Ph if I am right. Actually liquid products are far more likely to be properly Ph tested than solid bars and it is easier to find Ph balanced products, containing soap or not, that have a Ph of 5.5. I am not sure why you are wanting a bar specifically but I would try to look for liquids also.

Ha! I know this! Any product that is actually labeled as being "pH balanced" should have the same approximate pH level as the skin. This label is mostly found on liquid products, but I have to say that I had no idea about solids not being able to be properly pH tested and the skin not really having a pH level. I suppose I should read more about that. I still believe that "pH balanced" products are probably best for the skin. Otherwise, why would companies take the time to label them as such, do all the testing, and so on?

It is the protective layer of sebum mixed with sweat that has a pH reading, not the skin underneath. This should ideally have a pH reading of around 5.5, though anything between 4.5 and 5.5 is fine. If your skin is either too alkaline or too acidic, you can end up with all kinds of skin problems and premature signs of aging as well. The pH level of your skin depends in large part on your lifestyle and what you eat. It also changes with age. But cosmetic products that have the wrong pH level can certainly through the skin off balance, hence why some cosmetics dry your skin out and others make it oily. You can buy pH test strips very easily and verify the pH level of any product you are using for yourself. This is more reliable than seeing what the manufacturer says.

Man, this thread is confusing... ph matters or doesn't matter? I really don't know, and this thread isn't helping me. What I'd do if I were you, OP, is to go to a chemists and to ask them for what you want, which is, yeah? A solid bar of soap with a ph level of exactly 5.5??? While you're at it you may ask them if that's really necessary and what the benefits are. And then come back here and share the results, 'cause by now I really wanna know what's up with that stuff. I may just Google it and see what I come up with actually.

Can't say I'm any less confused now... I'm looking at this blog, yeah, right now, that says that because your skin's acidic and it has this Acid Mantle to protect it you need an ALKALINE soap to clean all the bad stuff on your skin off and then your skin starts making a new Acid Mantle within 20 minutes. So natural home made soaps that have a ph level of 10 or thereabouts are actually best. Right... with so much contradicting info out there I think I can thank my lucky stars that my skin care seems to be doing alright by my skin and I'm not gonna change it no matter the ph level. 

OK I know this is an old thread but I happened on another blog post about ph value and it said that vitamin C serums and gycolic acid do better at low Ph levels and something about foundations being better with high ones. Like I said before, this stuff really confuses me. Where on a product does it say about the ph value and how much does it really matter what the ph value of cosmetics is? I like to take care of my skin so if it's important I'd like to understand more but this stuff is really beyond me...